WTF?

My BFF has been really upset about money and made it sound like she & her son weren't going to even be able to buy groceries. So I gave her $1000 from my tax return to help out. She just seemed so hard up for money & I felt bad. So then this weekend she goes out and gets a new car, a new tattoo, and sent me a picture of some new shoes. WTF??? I thought this was going toward bills! She knows how we just bought a new house and how much I could use that money! I know I have no right to be angry since it was a gift, but if I would have known she was going to use it for superficial shit, I wouldn't have given it to her. Live & learn & just shut up, I know. But I had to vent for a second.

So my question is... What the fuck?

ABeaverhausen

Asked by ABeaverhausen at 8:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2013 in Money & Work

• Wow,she'd be on my permanent shit list

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I really wouldn't consider her a friend anymore. What you did was very generous and she blew it. She pretty much lied about being hard up and went and spent money that was intended for bills on junk. If you do remain friends with her I would never give her another dime and when she bitches about being hard up for cash, bring up that she should have either saved that $1000 or used it on bills.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I would be pissed too, however I have learned over time that if I want the money to go to something specific that I pay that particular thing instead of trusting someone else with money. Hopefully she doesn't complain about money to you again. If she does, you have an 'I told you so' to pull out of the hat.

On another note, that was a really nice and caring thing to do for a friend. She doesn't know how lucky she is.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:59 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I don't give money out to anyone for this reason. Help them find resources in the community, yes. Give them money, no. Personally I would tell her how you feel - that you thought the money was going to needs and not wants.

Answer by missanc at 8:47 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• That is why I don't gift or loan anyone money anymore it's come between to many friendships.Sorry you are going through this.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• now did you GIVE it or loan it?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I think you're seeing first-hand why she's always in financial trouble. Her priorities are screwed up.

It was a gift, so there's really not much you can do about it. Take it as a lesson learned not to give money so freely if you don't like the outcome.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:34 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• That would piss me off, but what can you do it was a gift? I think next time (if there was a next or even helping others) I would take them grocery shopping, etc. That way you know your money is actually helping.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• i would be hurt but as others have said, its is a gift not much ya can do after it has changed hands. I have learned to buy product, not give money.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 10:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• wow
    pretty ballsy

i would not be pleased
    in future, maybe write check out to the company she owes, so money will go to a bill

ps
    beaver, since you seem to have an opening, i am appling for your new BFF
    and i am enclosing the address of my credit card company
    a thousand or two would be great
    (insert tears steaming from my debt)
    lol
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:11 AM on Feb. 11, 2013