Scared and depressed

Hi my name is stephanie and i 17 weeks 3 days prego.. i just wanted so comfort because a took the Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) test and it came back positive for down syndrome... i been so scared and depressed, the doctor said it might have been bcuz i dont know the exact date of my last period, which that can make the test come back abnormal... now on friday i have an appointment for the amniocentisis test to be sure..... i need help plz...

mommy_2_be0830

Asked by mommy_2_be0830 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ok,first do not stress since that is bad while pregnant.
    Also,that test(AFP) is not 100 % accurate.
    Also i would not risk the baby off that test right(AMNIO) now since it can cause a miscarriage.
    Just good luck.
    Anonymous

• Oh no, stephanie I'm so sorry ;( What aa horrible thing to go through. I'm sorry, but I have no idea how yor feeling, as I've never been through that before, so I have no idea what to say to you. Only that I'm very sorry and I hope the tests aren't true. But if they are, know that God wouldn't give you anything you couldn't handle. I know that's easy for me to say, because I'd be terrified too, but I have to believe that. I have to believe that everything happens for a reason, and I'm sure he gave you this baby because only you were able to provide the certain love and attention this baby needs. If you need ANYTHING, even just someone to chat with, please message me. My name is Alli and although I don't know you, I am totally here if you need me. Keep your head up love! You can do this!!! xoxo
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• i would wait things out do not let them do the second test it can cause harm too the baby
    Anonymous

• Agree with poster 1 and three.
    Wait it out,since they can be more wring tha right and getting a test based off a test that has false perventages on down syndrome you could end up losing a healthy baby off a risky test you got over tricky results.
    Anonymous

• Do not get an amnio based off that test.
    I knew three people that had the test and it said the baby was sick and they did not want to risk the baby with the amnio and good thing the babies that were born were healthy.
    Anonymous

• butterflyi agree that God would not give you what you cant handal  heres what my mom said to me   with God behine you and his arms benith  you .   you can face what ever is ahead of you  no matt what  hold that baby close  show him/her that you loveymem and know that God sent you the best gift   i know if you needed to talk any of these moms will be there   i have5 boys  one foster child and 2 step children thay all have some going on 1 hearing impared.1 adhd .2learing disables iknow  none of these compairs but if you would like to chat send me a message my name is tearsa      may God be your strenth

tearsao5jboys

Answer by tearsao5jboys at 6:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Usually those tests arent completly accurate. I've met some many mommy's that have had it and they come back positive and there babies end up being ok. Then I've also met some mommy's that have had it there test come back negative and there babies end up beign down syndrome. I don't understand why they still do this test when it's not completly accurate. Just pray that its a mistake and in your up coming ultrasounds you can also tell so ask questions to make sure. I will pray for you and your baby and I hope your one of them ones that they misinform.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 7:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2009