Why do they say you shouldn't eat deli meats while pregnant???

mamakat21

Asked by mamakat21 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There's a form of bacteria called Listeria that is found on deli meat and hot dogs. It isn't particularly dangerous to an adult when they eat it, but it can be dangerous to the fetus to which it would be passed along to after a pregnant woman ate it.
    Laurr24

Answer by Laurr24 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• well what does it do to the baby??? Because I've eatin it a few times during my pregnancy and I'm overdue. I CRAVE turkey sandwiches like crazy, and I've been know to give into those cravings on occasion. So what can happen?
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I have heard it's a serious infection. Cook a turkey and slice it up and give in!
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 6:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• It is due to the risk of listeria, which can cause you to miscarry.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I ate turkey, bacon, and lettuce sandwiches like they were nothing when I was pregnant and I'm fine. Not saying nothing WON'T happen I'm just saying it's not necessarily going to hurt anything.
    Anonymous

• its not present in all deli meats/hot dogs but it COULD be. Even healthy people can get sick from it. Its a form of food poisioning. Its dangerous to ppl who have compromised immunity or are pregnant (can cause stilbirth or miscarriage). Its recommened that you only eat deli meat or hot dogs cooked to steaming hot (to kill the bacteria if it is present). Believe me, if you got the sickness from it you would know it! here's a link for you:

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/listeriosis_gi.html

Anonymous

• I'm sure you're ok if you've eaten it. I ate it a couple times myself while I was pregnant, and I craved hotdogs like a madwoman! I used to microwave lunchmeats for a little bit until hot just to kill any potential bacteria. If you have concerns, call your doctor.
    Laurr24

Answer by Laurr24 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• thanks ladies...hopefully my baby is fine! fingers crossed xxx!!!!
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 1:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2009