Son got his tooth pulled, but now hes scared to take the gauze out to eat

Hes only 6, so im sure it was a traumatic experience for him, but I want to take the gauze out so he can eat, but he refuses to take it out, or eat for that matter. He thinks it will hurt or something I guess. What to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell him you will go & buy him a toy if he takes it out. Then take him out later for one. He deserves it poor little guy :(
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• You must of gotten instruction on how to treat it, plus additional gauze. If not call them
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• My 6yr old fell on the stairs and bashed his two front teeth all crooked and had to have them both pulled, he wouldn't swallow his spit even after the teeth were out, and he refused to bite on the gauze because it hurt him. Will he take it out at all? Maybe let him know that if he doesnt get saliva to the affected area the guaze will stick to his gums and it will hurt to pul it off.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I agree with first poster. Hope he feels better.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Tell him it's not the sticky kind like when you rip off a band aid. There's just a cotton ball stuffed in the space where his tooth was.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Just give it time. Make him a shake or smoothie and stick the straw in with the gauze. He will forget about it soon.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I would tell him if he takes it out that he can start off with something soft like jello or something similar. let him start off with that, but nothing too hot so it doesn't make the bleeding start again. Maybe just bribe him this once.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• The gauze will get uncomfortable and he will probably take it out on his own. His mouth is most likely producing enough saliva around the foreign matter to keep it from sticking. I'd just let him take the gauze out in his own time.

Having a tooth pulled sucks, especially for a kid. Maybe a toy would be a nice thing for him, just because.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Did he take it out?
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 10:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2014