Different school testing requirements for different races?

Late last year, I was read about how FL and VA are setting different acceptable passing rates for kids of different races. Like in VA, apparently "In math it set an acceptable passing rate at 82 percent for Asian students, 68 percent for whites, 52 percent for Latinos, 45 percent for blacks and 33 percent for kids with disabilities." Link here.

And Florida supposedly passed something similar. Link here. (These are just one link for each state. you can google to get more articles/details). 

I'm instinctively horrified and insulted on behalf of EVERYONE that the school leaders are actually instituting policies that say "Yeah, we know black and Hispanic kids just aren't very smart, so we'll just call it a 'win' if they can score a fraction of what we expect from other white or Asian kids."

Holy crap!!! That is a serious whopper of a thing for a state's educational leaders to say! And I just get MAD!!

I know I become pretty emotional when I see society patronizing and insulting kids because of their color or gender, and I don't think the clearest when I'm emotional. Even the implication that "It's okay to hold Asian kids to the highest standards than white kids, because we all know Asian kids are smart and good at math" pisses me off! No, it's not flattering to Asians. Racial stereotyping is insulting to everyone.

But I honestly just don't know that much about what's actually happening in these states. And after a bunch of articles in Oct and early Nov of last year, I haven't heard anything. Does anyone know something that might put this in a clearer light? Anyone from one of those states? Am I overreacting or misunderstanding anything? Sadly, this is one of the times when I hope someone can show me how I'm wrong... 

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 3:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I have no idea, but if its true that is so wrong.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 4:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I read about Florida mulling over the idea, but as far as I had read it had only been discussed within their dept. of education. There seemed to be a lot of backlash at the time. I think it is absolutely wrong and it's offensive to all of the students (and their families) that a lesser standard would be set for them.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• i know Florida passed it, but i dont know if its gone into effect yet. its horribly sad but their reasoning is that its the only way to get federal money. we've made it impossible for schools to get federal funding if their tests scores are low, so these states are lowering expectations along race lines in hopes that it will allow them to get around the federal system. it totally sends the wrong message to kids.

our education systems are royally fucked up...this is just one more sign of how messed up it really is.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Appalling. Just a-fucking-palling.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Maybe they think they are being realistic but it is notions like this that keep racism alive. We are all one race, the human race, all made in the image of God, all capable of being intelligent and receiving an education....................if given the chance. By not expecting much from one "race" or expecting more from another, it's not equal opportunity!
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• And I'm calling total bullshit on the politicians who are saying that they are just playing the funding game, that it's not going to impact the quality of education the kids get. Teachers are already "teaching to the test"... now they don't have to teach as much! Please understand that I know there are tons of awesome teachers out there doing a very tough job, but I also know that not every teacher is awesome and they are all human.
    Sebbiemama

Comment by Sebbiemama (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Wow! I wonder if that will carry over into all aspects of their lives then. Will jobs be considered in the same regard? Will other stereotypes be considered say, when passing the drivers test? How about when being considered for public office?! Maybe our politicians should be required to take annual exams to keep their job or be considered for a raise. Hmmm- ( In case you're wondering, that's extreme sarcasm & disgust w/ a twist of smart ass!)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• That's sad but it goes on even at higher levels. Universities accept lower SAT scores/GPAs from minority students to fulfill their racial quota. When I was in school, my university was being investigated because our minority numbers were deemed "too low". What about setting an acceptable rate and expecting ALL kids to achieve it, regardless of race!

Answer by missanc at 7:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Mrsmom, what's sad is that I worry it WILL carry over into all areas of their lives, but inside the kid! Kids rise to what's expected of them. If everyone tells girls that math is hard and they shouldn't be expected to do very well in it, then girls (in general) will stop trying to be good at math. I happen to be a girl who is very good at math and stuff, and it's shocking to me that today even among my very highly educated female friends, they keep forgetting that I'm an engineer! Apparently even women think we can excel in law or business or teaching or something, but it's still hard for even us to believe we can be good engineers.

If the teachers and states are telling Hispanic and black kids that it's okay to score 30-40 percentage points below the average white kid because "it's hard Honey, don't worry too much about it" what are these kids going to grow up believing? What is going to happen to our society in 20 years?
    Sebbiemama

Comment by Sebbiemama (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• ^^ thats why so many minority groups are against this. and whats sad is that it does effect funding. statistically, the lowest preforming areas are inner city areas and they are usually high black & hispanic populations. the politicians are looking at the statistics and missing the real reason those schools are low preforming...which are so numerous it cant be fixed by one sweeping generalizing piece of crappy legislation.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2013