So, something that's got me thinking lately. In your opinion, if drugs were legalized, what would be the consequences?

Give it some serious thought. I used to have this discussion with a Cardiologist when I was working in CCU. What do you feel would be the consequences?

No right or wrong answers, just getting some other feedback.

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 3:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Less gang violence, since no one would be fighting over their drug turf. (they'd still have things to fight about, just 1 less) Less people in jail for drug possession. More people dying from OD's. More money for "vendors" & the Govt.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• My fear would be that there would be more neglected & abused children and far more deaths (accidental & homicides) in this country. Yes, The Netherlands has legalized drugs and a lot less crime than we do but, we are a nation of excess. And, also the "mavericks" of the globe. We don't want to be told what to do & will act out if we feel we're being pushed. Our culture is just different, it's like we're too selfish & immature to handle situations that people in other nations can. I understand legalizing marijuana and taxing the hell out of it but, our nation could not handle stronger drugs being legalized.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Drug would be like liquor,wine,beer, cigs,,,,,, They would be sold in a special store. for people over 21. They would be taxed out the ass.

Answer by louise2 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• what type of drugs are we talking about? Weed, coke, meth? All of the above?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• You mean if you get a DUI or something? No consequences but I don't think this has worked out so well for Holland. I would think that it opens a Pandora's box of issues.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• We are a much larger country than so many others. Keeping all of us in as much line as we do, is to me, a miracle. I'm surprised there aren't more mass murders, suicides, bombings, home invasions, etc. Let people have access to any drug and assume they'll remain responsible citizens is playing with fire to me and sets the tone for the kids and their future and that of America. People are lazy too, imagine how this will affect that.

jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• No matter what drug it is, I really think its a horrible idea. Every drug has bad side effects and those who say weed dont are sadly mistaken. When I worked on the navy base clinic we had dozens of sailors coming in acting strange and some violent and they tested positive for weed. Once sailor actually jumped off the carrier chip into the freezing water. Luckily the ship was docked and he was out within minutes, He thought he could fly.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• The government would make lots of money.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• A drop in the black market and thus a drop in the crime rate. More money for the justice system to spend on real criminals instead of wasting it on first time dope offenders. I'm talking about weed here. Heroine, meth, crack cocaine, those drugs are a different matter.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• why would there be any if it were legal?
    obviously some rules would have to be set, dont drive if ur out your head, that kind of stuff
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2013