Neighborhood dogs getting aggressive

I live out in the country. I ride my bike with my LO in a toddler seat in front of me. Many dogs are not penned up, which I don't have a problem with. It's when they charge me, barking and acting aggressive. I ride on the opposite side of the road so they don't think I am going to come in their yard. I holler "NO, Go Home! Go on, get!" I don't kick at them, I know that would give them an excuse to bit me! It scares my LO.
This is the part I need opinions on. I thought about taking an old dish soap container, fill it with water and enough soap to burn their eyes when I "shoot" them with it. A neighbor said to get a can of wasp spray and spray them. That might do permanent damage to their eyesight so I don't really like that one. Another says to carry some mini sausages and throw them to the dogs. (I think that might attract them and make them mad if I ran out of food before I got to them! There are a lot of dogs out here!)
Any ideas? Opinions?

Edit: There are no leash laws out here. Bummer. It is not illegal here to use pepper spray so I have decided to give that a try.  I am unable to find a different route to avoid the dogs. I am out in the country and the only alternative is to ride on the side of a 4 lane, 75 mph highway. I don't realyl like that option.

Thanks for the help!!

TexanMomOf6

Asked by TexanMomOf6 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2013 in Pets

• Does your state have a leash law? I would make note of each house that their dog can escape the yard and call animal control or the police.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I would carry a long stick. And stick it out so they could not get close to me. If I hadto I could defend myself with it. Or a spray bottle with water and hot sauce in it. A form of pepper spray.

Answer by louise2 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Even out in the country, there are usually leash laws, and aggressive animals are supposed to be dealt with. There's noreason you should have to battle the canines while you ride your bike. I wouldn't recommend the sausage idea because you might start a dog fight, which would only make your problem worse. What about one of those high-pitched whistle things that supposedly only dogs can hear
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Ya know, I'd just talk to the owners. Stop by sometime and explain it to them. Ask if they think the dogs would ever actually bite... I'd stay away from anything until I talked to the owners. If something were to happen to the dog, you could be held responsible.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• There's a pepper-like spray for dogs that you can buy for something just like this. Just go to your local pet store.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I just tried to look up the laws for our county but I didn't find anything. That part doesn't help in the heat of the moment though. A couple of the neighbors heard the dogs and hollered out the front door but it didn't stop the dogs. One of the dogs is a pit bull and pretty large too. I tried to find a route around the dogs. No luck.
    I will look into the pepper-spray at the pet store. I hadn't heard of that! If they don't have it perhaps a few slugs of Tabasco in my dish soap gun would work too!
    Thank you Ladies!
    TexanMomOf6

Comment by TexanMomOf6 (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• The sausage idea was from a mail carrier who drives, not walks. I don't want the dogs to go nuts trying to get the sausages. Nevermind that idea.
    I thought the whistle was to call them toward you, not make them run?
    TexanMomOf6

Comment by TexanMomOf6 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Do you have animal control? I would call them and ask them if there's anything they can do. Not necessarily take the dogs, but maybe they can talk to the owners and explain that they are breaking whatever law they might be breaking by allowing their aggressive dogs to run free and threaten passersby. If they can't or won't do anything, then I'd go with a long stick that allows you to defend yourself while keeping distance and the dish soap and/or hot sauce idea.

As far as you being responsible if something happens to those dogs - I'd fight that in court. Those dogs are aggressive, coming at you. You have EVERY right to defend yourself against that, and their owners damn well should bear some responsibility (all of it, in my opinion) for not controlling and/or containing their animals.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I just called the county to see what the laws are, but they are closed. I will call tomorrow.
    I would certainly hold the owners responsible, but it doesn't fix things if the dogs manage to hurt my baby or me....I have to see if I can swing a golf club! That'd low the dogs down a bit. lol....

Thank you for the ideas!!!
    TexanMomOf6

Comment by TexanMomOf6 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• My SO carries a whip when he is running our dog with the 4 track (not for our dog, for the ones that charge the vehicle).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:24 PM on Feb. 14, 2013