An American Pope?

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/11/16926292-us-will-have-unprecedented-voice-in-electing-new-pope?lite

First off I know that this is ot going to happen  at least not for the now.

I am curious, though,  how people feel about it.  Would having an US raised Pope be a good thing or a bad thing?  I would ask that you explain why?

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 4:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• It really all comes down to the person but I think someone from Latin American will be selected first before America. If this does happen I think it would be great because it brings attention to other areas in the world.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• What I think prompt this was him helping the fact that a lot of priest were sexually abusing children.

I really dont think it should or would matter where the Pops is from.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Right now I am still just kind of in shock that a Pope can resign... I had no idea... I thought that was a life long position.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I read it has not been done 600 years... I wonder what *really* prompted this...

I do not think where the person who is Pope was raised should have any influence on his being placed. However the Pope really does have a HUGE political seat and their is no doubt that comes at least a little bit into play. A US raised Pope may not be the kind of statement they are trying to make right now.
    Anonymous

• I vote for Stephen Colbert.

What? I don't get a vote? 

Damn.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I wonder if it would make people less respectful of the pope if he came from America, just because some folks around the world don't like Americans very much. I also wonder if an American Pope might be more liberal than his predecessors.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• i had read that a Latin American Pope is far more likely than an American b/c Timothy Dolan is not exactly what ppl think of when they hear the word "Pope". the long list i saw of candidates had very few Europeans on it...so the likely hood of a non-European is pretty interesting, but i dont see it being an American.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I'm glad of that.  I'm full of opinions.

wink mini

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• No it is quite possible just not usually done.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• helping to hide*
    LostSoul88