(This might be a stupid question) Is there a season for cucumbers?

Every cucumber I've bought recently has looked...not as fresh as they usually do when I slice it open. Instead of a crisp, pale green it's more of an almost soggy, translucent green. It doesn't look gross (and still tastes okay), just not as fresh. I thought it was the store but I've bought some from a few different stores including the ones I've always gone to. Are they just out of season?

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Yep, they're a summer veggie.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Summer is when locally grown cukes are in season in the US. Those long plastic wrapped English cukes are what I choose in the winter. They seem nicer than the out of season ones.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I just looked it up, Food Network says from May-Sept in most climates, though they can be grown around the Equator year round. 

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Yeah, I've noticed that the English ones seem fresher too, they're just twice as expensive lol. Guess I'll have to suck it up until summer! I loooooove cucumbers.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Summer. The ones in the stores now are imported from places where the climates are warmer right now. They're usually waxed to make them look shinier in the store displays, so I always peel them unless I get them from someone's garden.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Cucumber is a warm weather fruit. If it is not summer in your area then it had to be shipped (most likely) or raised in a hothouse.
    They are picked immature and shipped and well there you go. I would guess the ones you are getting now are from mexico or possibly Texas.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• As the others have said ^
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Ahhh I have also noticed the waxy finish when washing them. Makes sense now!
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I get mine from the farmers market so no wax at all on them, dirt yes and usual not ready until things warm up around June. CA
    If your market has them probably from Chile over seas where it is still summer. PS not a stupid question at all
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2013