Best way to thaw breastmilk??

I am going to church tomorrow therefore I need to feed her with a bottle. I am not comfortable with BFing in public because I have not got it down without showing anything, yet. I won't be able to warm it up any way so, how should I do this? Can I warm it up before we leave and it still be good for about 3 hours or should I come up with another plan?

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 6:46 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you pump in the morning? Not sure how old your youngun is but I found in the early months I could get away with pumping enough in the morning to do an afternoon feed and still be able to feed my son in the morning also. I produced a lot of milk.

Usually when I thaw it I have left out on the side and then put in the fridge..but you might get away with taking the frozen milk and putting in the fridge overnight..then taking it out when you leave and it should be good....
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:06 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• they dont have a private room u can go to to feed ur baby the church i went to let me use there nursery
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I didn't think about finding a room where I could do it. I am pretty shy so, I would prefer to just disappear into the crowd but, I guess that would be the easiest option.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• My suggestion is to get a big blanket and nurse anyway. The people should be looking at the the one giving the sermon. If you really feel uncomfortable, THE ONLY way to thaw BM is with warm water. DO NOT nuke it!!! That being said, I don't remember, but I really don't think it lasts for 3 hours.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 8:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• In warm water and after an hour it gets bad and starts to separate. I was shy too about BF in public even with a blanket.

Anonymous

• I boil water and let it cool down a little bit so it doesnt melt the container then I let it sit and thaw and I swoosh it around. I know its not very comfortable but you can always breastfeed in your car, not that you have to but if your more comfortable thats an option. Maybe see if there is an office or a classroom you can use
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I would wait until your baby is getting hungry and find a sink and run it under warm water. Never microwave it.

Have you looked into a hooters hider? It's a nursing cover and their an amazing invention because you just loop it around your neck and it covers EVERYTHING but you can still see down to your baby to get them latched on ;) That might help you get more comfortable NIP because bottles dont help your supply at all.

Good luck!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 11:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2009