How would i stop my 21 month child to wake up in the middle of the night for a bottle?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• First of all...a 21 month old should not be getting a bottle. Bottles should be tossed out the window after 12 months old. That aside, you are just going to have to stand firm and refuse to give it at night. It is really hard, but there's no other way. You will have a few nights of screaming and fit throwing, but eventually they will get it. At 21 months they should be sleeping through the night without assistance. Be strong Momma! Good Luck!!!
    Anonymous

• There is no "should be's" like the first poster said - so don't start comparing him to other kids.

Firstly, don't refuse the bottle in the beginning, refuse the milk, add water to the bottle and let him have it.
    Then, if he doesn't want that then offer a cuddle/story/song to go back to sleep with.

Whatever you do, don't leave him alone upset, that will make the situation 10 times worse.
    Anonymous

• A 21-month-old child is WAY too old to still have a bottle and be waking up in the middle of the night.

I'd cut out the bottle ASAP. The only reason he's waking up is because he knows you'll give him that bottle....he's not hungry.

If you're going to take him off the bottle and stop giving him feedings at night, then you've got to stand firm in that decision. Yes, that's going to mean a lot of crying and screaming on his part, but you can't give in to him.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:05 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I agree with the other 2 .. I was surprised to see 21 month old getting a bottle..his dr. hasn't said anything about that?? And it is bad for their teeth.. so ignore second reply.. their teeth/gums should be brushed before bed.. the sugar and stuf in the milk can make them rot even before they come in. You really need to stand your ground.. like someone else said.. give him water first.. maybe even a binky if he takes one of those.. I dunno.. also I would talk to the pediatrician.. maybe they would have better advice for you. I stopped giving my son a bottle shortly after 12 months...Good luck
    Anonymous

• I agree that 21 months is too old for a bottle, my little ones are 23 months and 12 months, my 12 month old gets a sippy cup of milk with dinner and my 23 month old drinks out of a regular cup/glass at dinner, bathtime, brush teeth, storytime, bedtime. They are only allowed to have water after teeth are brushed and if they cry when it's bedtime I will set the timer for 5 mins, if they are still crying I go in and put them back in bed kiss and set the timer for 10 minutes. I've never had to set the timer for 15 minutes. They sleep from 8pm to 8am. It will be hard at first but 21 months is plenty old to be sleeping through the night without any bottle, stick to your guns and throw away all the bottles so you're not tempted to give in, you don't want to have let your little one cry for nothing.
    badd_kitten

Answer by badd_kitten at 8:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• My 21 month old had a bottle, he is 18 now and doesn't have a bottle anymore. lol They say the trick it to let them cry it out, cuz they need to learn how to fall back to sleep on their own. It is really hard to do but it works. I moved him from bottles to spill proof sippy cups also. Sometimes we just do what we have to do to get our sleep!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

•  I don't think a 21 mo old is too old at all and I would NEVER let him scream at nite either. This child is gonna have all kinds of insecurities and bullshit when he grows UP! Why the hell can't he feel secure(b/c that's all a bottle is ) foe NOW with his bottle? I really don;t understand a TIME LIMIT some women put on kids(AND ADULTS) Easy Does It Mom.. Your baby WILL let the bottle go you know. In HIS time..My DD was TWO and a half and JUST STOPPED, just like that.. She's 21 now and a VERY secure young woman. Why push things?

jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Hi:

Thanks for asking. A few suggestions I would have being an mother of a college kid and a teen is: Feed more solid food, maybe make dinner a little later , (closer to bed time). Keep him up later or skip naps to get him to sleep through the nite.

When you have your first child you are always are bombarded with information, everyone who has had a child, and even those who haven't consider themselves experts. You need to trust your instincts more.

My children had bottles at 21 mos., infact way after that! They are well balanced, self-confident, secure individuals that get top grades.

Do practice very good dental hygiene. Do keep trying to work away from the bottle with more solid food. as being without the bottle will be easier for you. Note: alot of women in Africa breast feed their children until about 4 years old. So the need to suck is natural for alot longer than 21 months. Hope this helps. Good Luck to u.
    Anonymous

• We are in the same situation, 23 months, with bottle, wakes 1-2 times a night. He does better when he's had less liquid right before bed, with a late snack, and good dinner, and when he's had a chance to blow off steam! The days that we sit around looking at the 4 walls because we can't go outside (weather too cold sometimes) he burns less energy & he wakes easier. But if we run his litle legs off, or play at the park, or something more stimulating, then he sleeps thru the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• why isn't this question in the toddler section?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:34 AM on Feb. 17, 2009