Is it really THAT common for a child to not be potty trained by 4?

I have never heard of this except in kids with delays until tonight.

Maybe it is because here you HAVE to be potty trained or have an IEP to start K4 and going to school is a motivator?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• I think you need to work harder on it, not exactly normal but accidents happen.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 5:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Aunt*
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 11:22 AM on Feb. 12, 2013

• me and my sunt does daycare and all of our kids are potty trained before 3!
    futurebabykar

• everyone i know starts potty training at 2 or a little sooner and most kids i know are potty trained by 3 - i know one who wasnt but that was because the parents didnt try but she was very much so ready - i say 4 is to old unless health issues
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 11:21 AM on Feb. 12, 2013

• D was 3.5 when he finally decided to potty train. He was dry all the time within a week. Poop on the other hand, yeah, apparently that took way too much time and effort away from playing so that took him longer.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:09 AM on Feb. 12, 2013

• In my experience, NO. My 3 yr old, just had her first night last night w/out a pull-up. She'd been wearing them at bed time only (panties during the day) for 8 months. And, it was successful.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:12 AM on Feb. 12, 2013

• My DD was potty trained, but poop was another issue. I think she was just at the beginning of developing encopresis so that took a bit longer, but she was trained for both by 4.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:57 AM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I had one who was almost 4 before he was potty trained. I was a stay at home mom, and he knew what to do , he just didn't want to.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2013

• It is more common nowadays and I personally feel it is too old. I also feel that most of it has to do with being in daycare where they are not worked with to go like they are when staying at home with a parent (most the time). The only children without delays I know that were late to potty train were in daycare all day while the ones who had SAHP were fairly early.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2013

• my dd was 3 when she was fully pott trained. I started early and she was doing great but I was sidetracked andthen tried again and got side tracked and then the 3 rd time she was just stubborn and those pull ups were a waste of time. She just did it one day with anyone telling her and never looked back. she has had accident but what kid has not. They play and they don't go to the bathroom fast enogh. Anyways I think kids will potty train when they are ready. 4 I believe is a little late but who am I do judge it's not my kid, and I don't know them. as long as the child gets potty trained that is the most important part.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2013