Is it really THAT common for a child to not be potty trained by 4?

I have never heard of this except in kids with delays until tonight.

Maybe it is because here you HAVE to be potty trained or have an IEP to start K4 and going to school is a motivator?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• both my kids were 4 or almost 4... no delays... from what I heard it was pretty common, at least with the people I know
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• What's K4??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• The more effective pull ups are at absorbing all traces or moisture, the more common it becomes
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• K4 is a free 1/2 day program before K5 or 'regular' kindergarten it is not required but most parents here send their kids to give them a head start.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Oh... we have regular old pre-school before Kindergarten - and because most preschools are private they will work with pullups if the child is not fully potty trained.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• No
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• My older two were both 4 y/o, & didn't have any delays. I encouraged them, but didn't push it, because I knew they'd go when they were ready. I'm now doing the p.t. thing w/ my third who is also 4, but hoping that maybe my 2 y/o will see him training & want to start earlier... I can hope can't I? A lot of pre-schools want them potty trained before they start. And all Kindergarden's that I know of want them fully trained... so 4 is pushing it a bit, but it is what it is.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Like NP said, it's becoming more common. My oldest was potty trained about 3 or 4 months after his third birthday, and my youngest son was potty trained right around his third birthday. At the time, people criticized me that it wasn't sooner.
    People bitch no matter what. People bitch if your kid isn't trained at a year, and if they're trained at a year, people bitch that you must be lying.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• my DD is a stubborn ass...so yeah she wasnt fully trained at 4. no delays, in fact she's one of the smartest kids in her pre-K class. sigh...operant conditioning did NOT work on her...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• When they're old enough to shit themselves and TELL you, or take off the diaper and change it themselves, they're TOO OLD!
    There was a kid in my son's daycare that would crap his diaper, go ask for a clean one, and change himself.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2013