Random questions about religion, bible, and life?

I have been thinking about some things today and have decided to ask the following questions just to see what people would answer...

Do you all live your lives according to the traditions and rituals of the religion or the church that you belong to or do you go by the actual Word of God, the Bible?

Do you believe there is a difference?

Do you think one has to be in a religion if they consider themselves to be Christian.

What is your perception of a Christian?

Do you put God above all things in your life?

Are you one of those mothers who says, "My Children are my life" If so, have you thought about what that statement actually means?"

Do you believe that you can actually give all of your problems to God and really never ever have to worry and stress about them again? Or do you pray and then stay up all night worrying about how YOU are going to take care of the situation?

Susan0976

Asked by Susan0976 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Word...Traditions and rituals are man made.

There is a HUGE difference. Sometimes they overlap but doing something for the sake of ritualism doesn't win us points with God and it certainly doesnt help us spiritually.

I don't want any part of religion, I want relationship with God. No, I don't have to be a part of religion.

A person who is "striving" to be Christlike and looking for his attributes.

I very much try, but I very much fail. Idols are very hard to remove. I am being changed from Glory to Glory everyday and everyday, I get a little closer to removing them. Its a process.

I would love to say that my children are my life, but really...thats idolatry. Gods principles are my life and his purposes are my life and right now, his purpose for me is to raise my children to love Him. My children are not first and they are not second....they are third.

Yes, I really do believe I can do that

momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I TRY to live by the word of God, Yes there is a big difference. No, I don't think you have to follow organized religion to be a christian. Someone who is saved and filled and wants to live life for God is my perception of a christian. God is a big part in my life but I have failed to put him first in many little areas..Sometimes I try to handle the things that I should come to God on, and let him handle them. My child is my life, God gave me my child. Yes, I believe you can give God all your problems and he will handle them, but I also think praying and thanking him diligently is important, but it should be done without worrying or stressing..That's the part I struggle with..I try to "fix" my problems in every day life when I should consult God more often...I do thank him every day though.
    Anonymous

• The answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42. Answer to your first question is somewhat. i was raised christian, but am now atheist. I pick and choose the parts I like. Second question isa resounding Yes. Third is no. Fourth is a Huge NO. My children are my life. I must raise them with morals, love them unconditionally, and if need be I will die for any of them. And last question No. I don't think any imaginary being is going to take care of my problems. I don't stress over how I'll handle it, I just do. Even if god existed you still have to do something other than sit on your butt and wait. you have to do your share of the work otherwise nothing gets done.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:31 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Thanks for you honesty Anonymous.
    I agree with you on most of your answers. One of the questions I don't understand is the one about mothers saying their children are their life...I love my children very much, please don't get me wrong, but literally, my children are not my life, God is but I always get looked at wrong for saying this. I also believe my husband comes after God not only because he is the head of the home but he & I are one. Again, I sound horrible to others when I say this & I haven't always felt this way but yes, my husband comes before my children. I figure, God trusted me to take good care of His children & raise them in His Word & in order to be able to take good care of someone, I believe we must know how to take care of ourselves. So, I believe that if I take care of my husband & myself, make sure we are living right with God, our children & everything God trusts us with will too. Any thoughts on this?
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• 2autisticsmom, thank you for your answers! When you were a Christian, did you question your Christianity from the start or was there something that happened that made you change your mind? I used to be an atheist and just kinda went with the flow, I was always nice and got along with others and feel I have always had good morals...of course I had my issues as humans tend to do but I did enjoy my life, for the most part but I always felt as if something was missing...I know I'm a dork but I am dead serious. Anyway, I started believing in Chrst when I was 29...it was something that just happened. I'm wondering if your becoming atheist just happened too?
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 9:04 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I see where you are coming from, no doubt. I understand what the bible means when it says that and I agree. When I say my child is my world, I mean God=My husband and I= my child.
    It all starts with God..
    I completely understand what you mean.
    Put God first in all things and he will bless you..(ie Marriage, Kids etc)
    When you put God first he blesses you=your marriage. If you and your marriage is blessed=Your child will be blessed.
    When something is wrong in your marriage seek God, when something is wrong with your child seek God. God comes first and when you put him first he will bless you and your family. He knows what's best.
    Anonymous

• 2autisticsmom....I didn't know what you meant by 42...lol....I learned something today, whoo hoo! Anyway besides it being the answer to life, I read that it appears in various contexts in Christianity....geneology and in prophecies, among other things. It's pretty interesting to know this, thank you for sharing. I am definately going to read more into it.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Anonymous...yeah, what you said, LOL....it makes more sense the way you say it....words have a way of confusing things sometimes.

Thank you!
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• The Bible

YES

Definately not

They believe in Christ

absolutely

Yes

Very difficult to do but I try!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• No/God's word
    Yes
    No
    Christ-like
    I don't, but I should
    I love my children very much, thaank God for them but they are not my life
    last question - not clear
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 12:56 AM on Feb. 15, 2009