Kids and glasses

My DD is going to be getting glasses soon (again). She is 5 years old. This time last year she had glasses. I bought two pairs. One completely disappeared and the other got broken. I stressed on her how important it was for her to keep them safe and wear them at all times besides bath time and bedtime. We even had a special table for her glasses.
So now its time again to get glasses before she goes to kindergarten. I don't want them to end up broken again. Any advice on how I can encourage her to keep them safe and wear them?
I have bought that thing that goes on that glasses so it stays around her neck, even let her pick it out but that didn't help.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 12, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ZENNI OPTICAL WEBSITE  

You just upload a pic of your kid and you can try on different frames.  They have some cute ones, and they're actually pretty nice.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Both of my kids have been surprisingly great about their glasses. The first pair my oldest son got actually went through 5 sets of lenses because they were in such great shape that they were passed to my younger son. Mine have cool cases where their glasses live when they're not on their faces. I also once saw one of the coolest things, an animal stand where you put the glasses on the animal to wear when you're not wearing them. I will do an internet search and see if I can find them for you. They are really neat.
    Also, I would suggest you buy your glasses from Zenni optical. They are decent glasses, but super inexpensive, so if they get lost or broken, you're not out much. I got both kids prescription sunglasses and also an extra pair of glasses that my older son wears only at karate, and I spent under $100.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I just had to stay on mine about it when they first got them. It's annoying, yes - but that's why it works. lol You annoy her enough and she starts wearing them so you'll shut up. It was the only thing that worked for my boys.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:45 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• does she need them AT ALL times? I think you just have to keep at her to keep them ON and not take them off for any reason... its hard when they're that young though :-/ my dd got her first pair at 8 and she has done great with them and not broken or lost any. I let my younger dd (5yo) take her sisters old pair to school on Friday for a dress up thing (it was 100th day of school and they were supposed to dress like an 100 year old lady) and she lost them right away on the playground @@ Anyways, good luck and I hope your dd can learn to take extra special care of them!!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I have no clue, but my middle son has an eye appointment and will likely need glasses too. So I am looking forward to the answers you get.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I wish I knew. Granddaughter constantly loses hers. How about a really cool case? I bet you could get some awesome ones on Etsy.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• THESE aren't exactly what I was looking for, but you get the idea.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I would have thought this would be my kid. But he has managed to not lose or break them ever. Same age as your child. I do worry at some point it will happen. We bought the cheapest pair for this reason. He plays sports, goes to school, goes to camp...never an issue. He doesn't take them off unless he sleeps. I think that helps. No time to really lose them anywhere. When he swims at camp his camp counselor then holds on to them. Never do they go into the locker in case they some how get broken or lost.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• My son told me last week about a boy who was running and his glasses fell off and another kid stepped on them (of course) and the child began to cry (presumably he knew Mom would not be pleased). So this must be a problem. I'd ask the eye guy what advice he has?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Yes she does need them on. She has bad vision.
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2013