Did anyone watch last night's 20/20? It was on the Appalachian mountain people.

Is it really that bad? Or are they just portraying the worst parts of that community? Anybody hear live there or close by?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That is the way the people live. It's a very poor area. I don't live there but my husband said Diane Sawyer is from Ky. It's a mission field for churches to bring medicine, clothing etc. I can't understand how some of those families can't be helped out of that place. I couldn't believe that boy left college! All he needed was some money and tutoring according to the report but I think it must be so much deeper than that. I think you could find a source to give him what he needed to get out and stay out including counseling. It just doesn't seem possible that something hasn't worked. I also think the Mountain Dew company should have to pay to rehab that community!!!!! I think organizations like churches could sponsor one family for life. What did you think? Can't you tell I've been thinking it over? And how about that comment, "If it's kin, it goes deeper in?" Must be pretty much accepted, like it's a good thing.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 7:36 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Yeah, I didn't really get that comment of "if it's kin, it goes deeper in". What did that mean? Did he mean that in a sexual way? I wish that someone would have helped that boy too. He wanted to get out of there so bad (or so it seemed.) And if it was just money, somebody could have helped him. I freaked out with his mom too. She was only 36 years old and already had 8 grandkids. She is only 3 years older than me. I can't even imagine being a grandma. It has really stayed bothering me too. I thought I grew up in a poor community, but this place was just sad. And what is it with all the junk food? I didn't get that. I feel bad for them. It is something that is deeply ingrained though.
    Anonymous

• America is not any different then any other country out there, there are the poor,Middle class and the rich areas. America really doesnt show its poor areas to the rest of the free world because it shows their weaknesses. Im sure when they show India on TV they dont show the best of the best places. That is the problem, only America is supposed to put its best foot forward and the rest of the world is crap in comparison. Its true and this is a great example of it.
    Anonymous

• i didnt see it, i wanted to but DD was sick and needed me all day. I am so interested. is there a link where I can watch it online by any chance? If someone finds it let me know!
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Here's the web version of it.  Also an update saying Pepsi is going to provide free dental to a bunch of kids there because of "Mountain Dew Mouth"

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Why should Pepsi provide anything? They didnt put a gun to their heads and say drink Mountain Dew only...They can afford Mountain Dew, then they can afford milk to drink and to buy a 99 cent tooth brush and toothpaste and brush their freaking teeth. What a cop out! Everyone wants someone to blame for something they caused on themselves...
    Anonymous

• Thanks for posting the weblink. I missed the show last night and had wanted to see it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I saw it & was so upset that kid had to leave school I wish I could put a collection together & help him .............................. Hmm I wonder if we all write an email to Oprah to open up Americas eyes to this it will help this community out a bit or the boy : ( never know What do you think??
    Anonymous