C-Section question...

I had my son by c-section 4 years ago after 16 hours of labor in which I stopped dialating. Anyway, I am 23 wks now and planning on having another section w/ this one. My question is, do they give you the epidural when its planned or is there another shot that they give to numb you? Husband thinks that it will be different, and I'm just not so sure. I am so freaked out over the epidural this time around. I didn't care before cuz I was so worn out and just wanted relief, it didn't bother me. But I know with this one it will be another story.

Tiffany237

Asked by Tiffany237 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• did you have an epidural with your first labor...if you did thats probably why you had an epidural last time. from what i understand (i had a last min c-section also) with a planned c-section i think you get a spinal.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 7:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• They normally just give a spinal injection
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I had the epidural w/ the last one, but they gave that to me around 4 o'clock, cuz I couldn't take the pain any longer. he was born at 10. Dumb question, but what is the difference between a spinal and epidural?
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 7:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Usually, if its a planned C-section, they give you a spinal block. It differs from an epidural in that the medication is injected directly into that spinal space just that once, as opposed to have an continuous IV drip.

Spinals take longer to wear off though, so they usually don't make you do any walking until the next day.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:46 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• My oldest son, 26, was born via emergency c-section with a spinal. 7 mins from "we have to get this kid out ' until he was born. My last was a planned section. First day 39th week etc only it was done with an epidural. If I had to choose. I would say epidural. Spinal headaches are no fun. I wasn't allowed to get up until late the next day..it just wasn't a great experience for me. I had 32 hrs of active labor with the first though..maybe that blurs my perception of the events at the time.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Depends on the hospital's policy. I would ask your OB for an accurate answer in your case.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• It's either a Spinal or Epidural. Either way they won't put you to sleep unless absolutely needed b/c it's not good for the baby, so you have to have an injection in your spine and you will be awake. I've had two and will have another. No fun but you can get through it
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:30 PM on Feb. 14, 2009