can dogs sense pregnancy?

So for the past few days i have been thinking there is a possibility i may be pregnant. Im not even late yet (due for my period on feb 23rd) but since i have been thinking it my female dog has been up my butt! She keeps trying to cuddle and is alllll in my face no matter what im doing. She had puppies back in january and when she was pregnant she was actin glike this too. its like she cant get enough of me or something? Does anyone think that a dog can actually sense it before we even know for sure?

Kennadismom

Asked by Kennadismom at 7:46 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It really could have a very logical explanation: if you are pregnant then your body is putting out different hormones. Just like the other people said, dogs can sniff out seizures and cancer, they actually are smelling the hormones that are being produced and are trained to "point" on those hormones. So yes! She may not "know" that you are pregnant, but she could definitly sense that someting is different and be trying to alert you :) Good luck, try not to drive yourself crazy wondering until you can test lol!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I think they probably could. Friend of mine, her dog was different when she was pregnant and when I go over there shes wierd w/ me now too.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• They can sense the the change, yes. A lot of it has to do with hormones, which dogs noses are sensitive enough to smell.
    But they can also detect subtle (and no so subtle) changes in your mood and behavior.

Its the same with cats too.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• sooooo. is she trying to tell me im pregnant lol
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 7:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• My cat can he acts different how i do things he tries to stop me or protect me,like cleaning the litter box,he will block it.
    That is before i know.
    He will pee more.
    Or stand outside the shower and watch me.
    Biggest one is he will sit on my stomach and gets upset if anyone gets near he acts like he is helping to hatch an egg.
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Well, its possible that she could know before you do, but there's no way to know if shes knows..

...ya know? LOL

Seriously though...weird animal behavior doesn't neccessarily mean you're pregnant. She could be acting weird. Animals do that. A lot. lol
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Also she may be acting this way since her nurture instinct kicked in since she is a mom now so she wants to care for you too,i would test to see if you are.
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 7:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• hey anon...get over yourself OR stop hiding behind the anon name. if you have something to say then say it.im not sayin i peed on my dog so she could tell me if im pregnant im just saying shes acting different
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard...

No it is not, have you never heard of dogs that pick up on seizures in a person.
    Animals have better instincts on things than humans do.
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I don't agree that thats the dumbest thing, how can they sense when we have are period. They pick up on these things!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 14, 2009