The pain I go through after the 2nd day of given birth, What can I do?

I'm prego with my 5th baby and 2 days after giving birth, my breast get so big, hard and hot and I run a 103-104 temp for about 3 days.. Why is this? I tell the doc and nurses at the hospital what will happen after the 2nd day and they don't give me anything before it happens. They say I have to wait till it happens... Anything I can do before birth so I do not have to go through the pain... Given birth is easy the only thing I fear is 2 days after given birth...

icebluegirl5

Asked by icebluegirl5 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your milk is coming in, that's why.

Really, there's nothing they can do for you UNTIL it happens, if they can do anything at all. They can't treat you based on what you SAY will happen...I mean, what if it doesn't happen, they end up giving you something that makes you ill or something?
    Malpractice lawsuit.

Really, the only thing you can do (and I don't remember if its recommended you even take anything) is take some Tylenol for the fevor, and use warm compresses for your breasts.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• If your breasts are getting hard and hot and you are running a fever are you getting mastitis? My advice is to start pumping as soon as you can. Let the baby nurse, if you nurse, as often as possible. It sounds like your milk is coming in quickly but not being emptied enough.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I'm taking it you don't breastfeed? If you don't, your breasts will become engorged with the milk that the baby isn't taking. It sounds like you are getting an infection, too, so there really isn't much you can do in advance but stay really hydrated.

If you don't breast feed, they can and should give you something to help you dry out, but you may have to ask. You should tell your primary care doctor as well as the resident at the hospital, but it sounds like you may be going to a hospital clinic, in which case you'll have to listen to them.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I would suggest that you put the baby to the breast often. It will help!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• ouch! I know all to well the pains of tight throbing sore breasts. However that is just part of it. It's true the milk is comming in and if you don't breast feed then the milk has no where to go and until it dries up it can be very very painful. My suggestion is, well it's what I do. Before I have the baby I do nipple stimmulation and sort of massage my breasts. Some milk comes out and that seems to help, but also even if you don't breast feed pumping a little bit helps. But if you do breast feed then you may not be doing it often enough. Either way the pain and fever comes from the milk being in there with no where to go! Sorry bout the pain...but there really is nothing to do but just hurt and wait till the milk dries up!
    pregott

Answer by pregott at 9:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• sounds weird but ive heard putting cold cabbage on ur boobs in ur bra will help dry ur milk up if u dont want to BF. or wrapping them but i havent given birth yet or ne thing so i dont know.
    even though i know it takes a few days for the milk to drop- as SOON AS i get home from the hospital im immediately going to wrap them with ace bandages AND cold cabbage BEFORE my milk even comes in to see what happens. It may not help by doing it before it drops but im not taking any chances!
    kaybullion

Answer by kaybullion at 9:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Unless you are planning to BF, DO NOT use warm compresses to your boobs, that promotes milk letdown and lactation which will make your boobs hard and tight and painful. Do not stand in the shower with the warm water running on them either, same problem. Use cold cabbage leaves right out of the fridge and put them in your bra, believe me it does work. Also the temperature can go up unrelated to the breasts after delivery anyway. It is a compensatory mechanism for your body after delivery. If it stays up there may be a problem but it should go back down after 24-48 hours.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 2:24 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Just breastfeed mama, that will most likely solve ALL those problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 11:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I would like to try to breast feed but my nips do not get that hard and they are small. I tried to with my 1st and my 4th and they could not latch on... Any ideas on if I can use something to help my nips to get bigger so the baby can latch on?
    icebluegirl5

Answer by icebluegirl5 at 9:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Try a nipple shield icebluegirl5! It may help, also contact your local LLL or a lactation consultant to help you!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:17 AM on Feb. 16, 2009