how do you get a child to get motivated to take a shower??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Go give a homeless person a ride. after they leave ask the child is that what you want to smell like. it worked for my sister
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 9:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• why not just make them get in there?
    Anonymous

• its very hard too!!! they will get distracted or will feel to lazy too...
    Anonymous

• Tell them they are stinky. Girls/boys don't like stinky mates.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:28 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I don't know how to motivate them to do it on their own, but you are not alone in the shower war! Last fall my 15 year old went like 5 days with no shower! He usually showers after hockey practice almost every day and was out injured finally I asked him when he last took a shower and it had been like 5 days, so I asked "don't you think it would be a good idea to shower" his reply? "after I go to the mall"! EEEEW gross so I told him nicely to shower, he argued it! What is wrong with teen boys?! Finally I said "You are a gross,nasty skank and are not leaving this house again until you shower!"
    Anonymous

• I finally got my son to shower when I pointed out that he wasn't going to be able to get within smelling distance of a girl unless he was clean. LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 9:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• You might let him/her buy some toiletries for the shower. My son didn't like taking them until we let him start using Axe body wash, which he picked out for himself. We also made a big deal of how good he smells when he uses it.

Why don't you just "make" them get in there? because for some it can cause more problems than an unwashed body. My son has Aspergers and doesn't react to things the way most people would. Telling him girls won't like his smell has little to no effect on him....but our being positive has really helped.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I would make them get in.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• How old is the child? This actually changes the answer. If it is a younger child, make it a nonnegotiable part of the morning or evening routine. If it is a teenager, talk to him or her about personal hygiene and explain why cleanliness is important.

I agree with taking them out to buy their own products. If they are involved in picking their products, they are more likely to want to use them.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 8:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• i cant get my 18 month old out of the shower ! but then again he has toys in there !
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2009