Tell me what you know about hamsters.

My kids have been begging me for a pet ever since we had to have our dog put down. DS has a classmate that wants to get rid of his hamster and DS has been asking if he can have it. My instincts are saying no (told him that he can't even keep his room clean), but I feel really guilty about not letting them have a pet. I just don't want to end up having to take care of it. Honestly, I would rather get a dog, but I'm not ready for one of those either.

So, how hard are they to take care of? How long do they generally live (the ones I had as a kid didn't last long due to their curious nature and our cats being their natural predators and all)? Are they okay alone or are they social and require a playmate?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 5:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2013 in Pets

• I'll be the odd man out. I LOVED my hamster. He's living with my daughter now but he was the perfect pet for me. And he never peed or pooped on me. He did bite me a couple of times until he got used to my scent but he was just so sweet.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• They will give your house a nice urine smell.

Generally easy to take care of. Will pee and poop in your hands as you hold them.

I'd prefer a dog too.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• They've got more dark meat on them than gerbils. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• All I know from when I was six, is that mine got out of his cage one night and I found him running up and down my leg in the bed! I FREAKED. So, get a cage he cannot get out of. And know that they are nocturnal. My dude was on his squeaky wheel every night. Even as a child I was sort of sorry I picked the hamster.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• they stink, they bite and the pee in your hand everytime you hold them.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I got a fish.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Our hamster lived for years!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• They live on average 2-4 years. Some do bite. Their teeth grow constantly so you'll need to provide things for it to chew on. Clean their cage well and you won't have the urine smell. You'll want a hamster ball for it to run in while you clean the cage. Of course the friend should be willing to pass along any supplies they already have. A wheel in the cage for exercise, food, and water.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• They're used in some forms of sex!! Mostly by gay males :)
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 5:32 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I know that I am very excited about borrowing my son's class pet hamster for a few days, but that I don't want to actually own one.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2013