Do you or people you know believe The DaVinci Code was based on a true story?

Getting Art History over with this year. Had to listen to a 20 minute rant, including a death threat against Dan Brown, by the professor today, because every semester, any time she shows The Last Supper to a class, someone argues with her about who is in it and what it means, based entirely on what they read in the fiction book (or saw in the movie, one genius in my class today didn't even know it was a book first - she thought it was Tom Hanks' fault, and that Tom Hanks had DaVinci exhumed to make the movie).

Are there really people who think a fiction novel is true because it's about a giant conspiracy theory? It lists at the very beginning of the book a handful of real life organizations and documents that were used as inspiration, but never once claims in any way that any of the actual story or clues in the book are true.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2013 in Entertainment

• Well, but, IMO the Bible is a fiction novel as well so, what work of fiction is correct? LOL I think that *IF* Jesus existed, then it's quite possible that he had a wife, being that he was just a man.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I met so many people that truly believed that everything in that book was true. Typically, they "got" that it was a fiction book but fiction apparently extended only to the characters, not the actual story line.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• At a party a few years ago, one drunk friend-of-a-friend started in on something related to believing the DaVinci Code was true. He got his ass handed back to him by multiple people.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• LOL I think that *IF* Jesus existed, then it's quite possible that he had a wife, being that he was just a man.

But that still doesn't mean DaVinci secretly painted Mary Magdalene into the last supper (and left out John the Baptist), or that the family line is alive and kicking in France being hunted by some psychotic monk.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Well, granted. Again though, it's all fiction to me. ^^^
    I will say though, if he painted John, he did make him look girly.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• So is Jesus. Take your thumb and cover his beard - he looks just like John with slightly darker hair. It's more likely Jesus was a lesbian...
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• You know, when I was choking down that book it occurred to me that someone should write some sort of fictionalized novel about Hieronymus Bosch. You could spend days on one painting playing "seek the weirdness"
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Hmmmmmm..........
    Good conspiracy. Jesus was a woman, which of course, was covered up by the church & she had a lesbian lover: Mary Magdalene....you should write a book! Oh, Angelina Jolie can play Jesus!
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Good conspiracy. Jesus was a woman, which of course, was covered up by the church & she had a lesbian lover: Mary Magdalene....you should write a book! Oh, Angelina Jolie can play Jesus!

^^^This I love! LMAO! I have never known anyone to take that book as fact.

kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• One sage genius informed us that of COURSE it's not true because Dan Brown is a member of a secret society, so everything he writes is part of their agenda.

Yes, people, this is your future. These are the college graduates of tomorrow.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2013