Would you take hand-me-down furniture just because its FREE, even if you really don't want it and it wouldn't match anything in your house? :P

My parents have TWO storage sheds full of furniture, OLD furniture from when they went from a small house to a BIG house and then back to the small house again THEN they moved to Denver and bought pretty much all new furniture @@ Yes its ridiculous... But now that we are gonna be getting a NEW house (literately NEW never been lived in before) my mom seems to think that we want all her old crap! I'm like NO NO NO! She has an "antique" bedroom set that she insists she's been saving for my oldest dd (gonna be 10 this year). Really, you want a 10yo to have an ANTIQUE set? why, so she can ruin it?! Plus its not even the whole set, she gave the bed away to my cousin several years ago, so its just the big bulky dresser, a 2 piece tall 'secretary' desk and chair, plus a night stand. I agree they are beautiful and do look antique and they have sentimental value because they belonged to my great Aunt Ida, but that's all the more reason I don't want my dd to destroy them! Sigh... not to mention the 2 dining tables she wants me to pick from, although neither have enough matching chairs! But the things that we DO need, like new beds and a new couch, she doesn't have :P I know I'm just being picky but honestly I Want (and my dh VEHEMENTLY agrees) to pick NEW stuff that WE actually Like for our new house, we're the ones who have to live with it!

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 6:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I agree you and your husband should pick the new furniture for your home.
    She should consign the antique stuff and freecycle the rest.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• If I didn't need furniture or like the hand-me-downs, there's no way I would take them.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:58 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Virginia, we've been telling her to sell it all for YEARS!! She doesn't want to because of the 'sentimental' value of most of it, but she's starting to see how much money they are losing just keeping it sitting in storage... There is only ONE piece of furniture she has that I want, an old curio cabinet that my dad found and fixed up for her when they were first married, HE doesn't want her to get rid of it all (for obvious reasons) but she offered to SELL it to me. I will probably end up buying it for $150-$200, but that is honestly the only thing I want! She seems to think that since they started out with all hand-me-downs we should too...um, we've already been married with kids for 10years now, we're not "just starting out" mom! This will be our first home but that is just another reason we want new stuff, its gonna be with us FOREVER!
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• If I NEEDED furniture and couldn't afford new then yes. Otherwise no. When I got my first place I took my parent's couch but it was leather, not very old, and in good condition. And it matched what I had because I didn't have anything lol.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Only take what you need or want & maybe divide up the rest among other family. Congrats on the new house! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• No, only if I really NEEDED it.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Nope, if I didn't need it and didn't like it I wouldn't take it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• When I bought my first house (I was 25) my grandmother went around to all of her relatives and asked what they could give me. Nothing matched and it was kind of fun. 20 years later I still have some of the stuff, plus a lot of things from her house. But if someone were to offer things now, I'd be a lot more picky.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I wouldn't take them if I didn't like them or didn't have a place suitable. I like old stuff, so would probably like some of it. Only take it if YOU really like it. It's okay to say no.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:27 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• No, I'd politely decline.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2013