Do you think some women have too high of expectations for Valentine's day?

Just curious. I have read a few journal posts about how Valentine's day has not gone according to the way they wanted it too and they are upset about it. What do you think? I think women sometimes set expectations so high that they just can't be reached and other times well, they are just married to a jerk (but hey, they chose them). What do you think?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 8:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Holidays

• Yes. I know I do this frequently. I also let my husband know my expectations though... and I am not a pita often so sometimes I think that helps lol. He isn't SUPER romantic but he always has had a few tricks up his sleeves lol. I think communication, accepting each other for who they are, setting realistic expectations, and not making being loving a "special occasion" would curb this for many women.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I think that many set the bar too high. If they are not married to Romeo the other 364 days a year, Valentine's Day isn't likely to be any different.
    arctophile

Answer by arctophile at 8:45 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• yes.
    Hubby and I aren't doing anything. (He's working 4-10ish.) I told him: Don't worry about getting me anything, I just got you a card. lol I know that he was just going to run to the store quickly after work anyways. The story behind St. Valentine's is funny. He married 2 ppl, in a time where the emperor (Or whoever was the highest being at that time) would not allow young men to be married because they needed to go to war. But, St. Valentine's day is actually on the day of his death, rather than on the day he married the ppl.
    Anyways, show your love every day. It's kind of a silly thing, to go all out once a year, when you should be every day, IMO.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 8:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• My husband didn't get me anything and I really don't care.I didn't expect anything anyways,I just got him a card.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I think women are WAY too hung up on this holiday.

Some of them expect these men to be mind readers and just KNOW that they want something. Um hello...NOBODY can read minds. If you want/expect a gift, then its in your best interest to open your mouth and say something.

Another thing that bothers me is women who KNOW their SO's don't 'do' Valentine's Day, then get mad when Valentine's Day rolls around and nothing happens!
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I dont think I do I would have been happy with a "happy Valentines day, I love you" or a card but I got nothing just told that I was a bitch for being upset....
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I don't have high expectations. I got him a card. He's pissed me off today but it wasn't regarding Valentines day.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• We usually do stuff for Valentines day, but we rarely make big plans. We also rarely go out on the actual day of. It's too busy, too crowded, and people get use it as an excuse to get it on more than usual. This year, we actually made big plans, but plans as a family, and had a blast.
    Some women, I think set goals or what ever that can't possibly be met, just so they have an excuse to get pissed and have one more thing to complain about, and to get their girlfriends to sympathize with them.
    Even if he hadn't done something for me, I wouldn't have cared. We don't need a special day to tell each other "I love you". Don't get me wrong, I get a thrill when he does stuff for me, but we don't need it to keep our marriage alive.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Yes I think a lot of women have their expectations way too high for such a silly holiday!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 4:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Yes they do! In my observation, the ones who are usually disappointed are the wives of the poor men who tried and tried many times only to "fail" in their wives eyes so many times until they just don't even try anymore. It's so sad :-(
    smizzell

Answer by smizzell at 7:25 AM on Feb. 16, 2009