Ruszkowski says he has no opinion on the idea of imposing new restrictions on the sale of assault weapons, because he was not shot with an assault weapon.

Since the gun debate will be all over the place after the SOTU again tonight, including the call to ban scary looking guns, despite the fact that the scary looking gun in question wasn't even used in the incident sparking the screaming, I thought this was interesting:

Ex SB Police officer headed to Washington to lobby for stronger gun laws

He's not going to congress to whine about "assault weapons" which are identical to hunting rifles, but to point out that he was shot by a convicted felon (not allowed to own a gun), and the guy who did it was sentanced to EIGHTEEN MONTHS for it.

Now someone please tell me why banning scary looking guns is more important than actually punishing the criminals who are already breaking the law by owning one, no matter how scary or not it looks?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:40 PM on Feb. 12, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• To ease their fears.... Its not logical though. Criminals do not FOLLOW laws.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 7:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Because that would be logical.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Because in many people's minds doing SOMETHING is better than doing nothing, even though they have no idea what the impact of that something will be.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Hallelujah somebody actually made sense!! But now the poor guy is going to Wash DC and talking logic. OMG the politicians will not understand a a word he says. I hope they have an interpreter....
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:18 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Any gun is scary-looking when you're on the wrong end of it. Glad the guy is making sense but I hope he realizes nobody will listen to him. Most politicians seem to think screaming about assault weapons makes them look tough on crime and will be good for their careers, even if it makes them sound idiotic to people with logical minds.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:27 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I can't answer that NP. My guess is that people who are afraid seek to control what they are afraid of. not concour their fears but to try to put it in a cage so that they can pretend they are safe.

We have gone so overboard on making sure the bad guys aren't punished to much or too long or completely that we have forgotten why they should be punished in the first place. I understand about bad upbringing and how it influences your choice but somewhere along the line you have to grow upp and take responsibility for your actions, even if that means being executed for the crimes you have committed.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:40 AM on Feb. 13, 2013