Can I drink while breastfeeding?

jgiles7277

Asked by jgiles7277 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• depends on how much. Some say 1 is fine. I wouldn't drink more than that. They sell breastmilk test strips so that you can test your milk and see if the alcohol is being passed or not.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 8:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I agree, depends on how much yo are drinking. If you have 1 drink, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you wanna go out and party for a night, do not feed baby while you still feel ANY effects, and some say pump and dump, some say it's not necessary. I always tried to pump out a little bit, then feed her.

As long as you aren't getting drunk all the time or feeding baby while you are drunk, it's perfectly fine.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I was told from the Le Leche League that once you are not drunk anymore, your milk is fine. I do not suggest getting f__ked up every night, but a couple drinks once in awhile is fine.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Your supposed to be able to have 1 or 2 drinks depends on your body. But with me I had one drink and mind you I live in Utah so they only put in like 1 shot in any mixed drink here, then I fed my baby couple hours later and he puked. So for me I cant drink at all just that little tiny bit that gets into your milk made my DS sick. So have 1 drink and see how your baby does. If he/she is fine then I would say one drink but no more than a shot and a half in it. GL
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• i would like to know too! i'm turning 21 this month, and kinda wanna drink too.
    Anonymous

• My personal rule of thumb: 1-2 drinks? Fine. Any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing. No pump and dump. Waste of time, milk and energy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Safe to drive, safe to nurse. It's an easy rule to remember and cheaper than buying those test strips (which are nothing more than a gimmick to take your money.)

One or two glasses of anything? OK. Drinking yourself into a stupor? Not OK by ANY stretch of the imagination even if you aren't nursing! (No killing innocent brain cells!)

Answer by gdiamante at 10:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• My doctor said as long as I'm not inebriated I can breastfeed. She told me that sipping on a glass of wine or a beer can help with the letdown..
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I am so sick of this question...there are a lot of people in this world with no will power and can't even refrain from drinking while theyre Bfing...If its that important to you quit BFing and do whatever you want but WHY would you want to put that shit in your baby??
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:39 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Calliesmommie...obviously, you know nothing about the subject. I'm not insulting you, but if you DID know anything about it, you would know that it is perfectly safe as long as you are not getting plastered. Do a little research before you speak.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:22 AM on Feb. 15, 2009