Do you use jar spaghetti sauce? I just noticed it has a lot of sugar. I was surprised. Have you had any unpleasant food surprises lately?

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 12, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Very sporadically. I make my own, but if I run out or I'm in a hurry, I'll use the jar.
    I sometimes do add a bit of sugar if the tomatoes were too acid, but it's just a pinch or 2.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Yeah, it really does. I make my own.
    Food surprises was the link NP or someone posted about the horrors of canned foods, spices, etc...OMG was it an eye opener. Now when I use tomatoes I know there may be maggots in there or rat hair/poo in my spice. SURPRISE!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I make my own, so I have no clue what is actually in jar or canned sauce. If I can make it from scratch, I will. Cuts down on food surprises.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Not recently... but a few years ago I was on this health kick, & anytime we'd do the fast food thing, I'd order a salad.... thought I was doin good, until I read the back of the salad dressing packet, and realized that w/ the amount of fat that was in it, I might as well have been ordering a burger & fries..... ugh...
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 10:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Yep, sometimes. There's sugar in tomatoes, and if I do make homemade I add a pinch or two of sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Should have guessed there'd be a lot of sugar in spaghetti sauce from a jar. I like the taste.

Special-K has a shocking amount of sugar, too. It's not really a good diet food.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I tried all kinds of the sauces and found out that the best way to make spaghetti sauce is ALWAYS homemade and it tastes unbelieveable..so much better..
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Once in a while but I usually make my own. The brands I use only use ingredients I can read and understand. Didn't see sugar on either one of them though. I have a friend that uses sugar when making her spaghetti sauce though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Idk
    latoyaferebee

Answer by latoyaferebee at 3:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2013