Do you think the President or any of the politicians in Congress really understand the issues that working class and middle class families face everyday?

I don't really think they do. Unemployment and job loss is an abstract notion on a piece of paper to them.

Asked by booklover545 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• i dont think they understand it in the way that we that we've lived & struggled with the issues of our class systems every day. id bet 98% of them have never spent an adult day of their lives the way we do.

growing up we were poor, now my parents are well the 20 years since their financial situation was made more secure they have forgotten what its like to live like DH & i do now. you can remember, but you lose that true understanding.

Answer by okmanders at 10:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Understand? Sure. Care? No.

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Not even close, considering they do not even do normal everyday things, they all seem to be in an altered universe. Face it we are all in the same boat , they are not

Answer by sunshine196 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Not a chance in hell. Rarely to people go into politics to get rich, but politicians happen to be some of the wealthiest figures around the globe. Can anyone think of any of our politicians that did not go to Harvard, or Yale or Princeton, or any other big league school? Hell, Michael Bloomberg has a net Worth of $18.1 billion! And IMO, once they get to the point they never have to worry about if their bills will be paid, or will their child eat that night, they forget what it was like, and the 'little people' just do not matter anymore.

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• What convinced me beyond any doubt that politicians have no clue about the problems faced by the working and middle classes was a 30-second film shot of George Bush Sr. when he left office. He stopped into a grocery store to buy something--why that was being filmed I don't know--and he saw the scanners for the first time. When he entered office, the old key cash registers were still widely used. He was amazed by the scanners and how all the clerk had to do was run the device over the item, it would beep, and bingo! Well, right when I heard him say how wonderful the "new" technology was, and thought to myself how long it must have been since he'd set foot in a supermarket, much less looked at the prices of anything, I realized we lived on two completely different planets. Maybe he laid awake nights worrying about Saddam Hussein, but he sure didn't give any thought to the cost of a pound of butter or a can of baked beans.

Answer by Ballad at 12:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Hell NO!

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• HELL NO!!!

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:27 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I really don't know. I think many of them have experienced that while they were growing up, however most haven't been in that position either in a very long time or at all as self sufficient adults.

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• No. A person has to live it everyday to understand it.

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Nope

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:32 PM on Feb. 12, 2013