Puerto Rico to get 12% more in food stamps?

So, how does giving Puerto Rico and American Samoa 12 % more in food stamps for 2010 and an ADDITIONAL 12% in 2011 stimulate the economy?

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h1/text

Unlike many people, Senators included, I DID read this bill, and for Obama to publicly state that there is NO PORK, makes me dislike him even more. yuck.

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 8:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• People on little islands will not stimulate this country. There is no excuse for this, well, except votes.
    Anonymous

• What votes could possibly have been bought with this? Neither has any Congressmen. Heck, residents of these places don't pay income tax. I really, really wonder why this was added.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I truly wonder just how many things have been slipped into this thing that will not be noticed until they enact something and someone says something about it. They will be able to say well it's in there...why didn't you read it. *sigh*
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:10 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• This is why it's called "Poli-tricks". They trick you into believing they know what they are doing. Hang on....We are in for a bumpy ride.
    tietwinsmom

Answer by tietwinsmom at 12:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I want off this ride...I'm feeling nauseous!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I do not agree with the government handouts for these two countries, but our government prob. justifies it b/c we do have military bases there and use parts of their land for maneuvers, experiments, etc. Sadly, enough tho, these two countries have a high government-dependent ratio.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:29 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• What??!!! I have 5 kids and get around $50,000 a year, yet I cannot get foodstamps.Even though my 3 oldest kids father is MIA and don't do jack for them, I cannot get Food stamp. This pisses me, they keep helping poeple that don't need them (not all) and not those who really do even if it is just emergancy and only needed for a month. Which we also tried and was denied for.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:02 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• lifeasinoit, those two countries are American territories, just like Hawaii, Alaska and California were before they became states. The deserve to get food stamps as much as anyone living in the states. They suffer under a lousy American economy the same as the rest of us.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Ibelongtojesus : where do you live? Perhaps you could consider moving.. I know where I live that's middle class and can definately support a family of three.. however I know of other places that that is lower class. Not trying to be rude.. because i've been in tough spots before and understand.. but if it helps you.. you may want to consider moving.

OP- this is just another reason for me to dislike Obama. It amazes me when people make a post supporting him, and they act like he is God, but they don't really show up in posts like these that really can show you what a jerk this man can be.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:19 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• manscomama, you'd have to explain then why people who do not pay into our federal system is drawing from it?

The original intent for government assistance was that it was to be temporary, not a way of life. It was for those who needed it and was unable to work. Too many in this country live this way b/c its all they know. The truly poor in this country are our senior citizens and they don't get squat. Most of them are unable to work, and the ones that do find small jobs to help supplement, something that my clients that I see every day won't do, b/c they know the income level they must have to keep their government assistance. Tell me THATs not true.

The rule should be, you can use the system IF you pay in first!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:55 AM on Feb. 15, 2009