So you win the lotto...

We are talking millions.... do you take payments or get it all in a lump sum. Sit back, quit your job, & enjoy life, or invest/ start your own buisness etc. And what are the first 5 things you would do w/ the money, or spend it on?

Depending on how much it was, I think I'd take the lump sum and the first 5 things would be...
1. New house- hate my neighborhood
2. New car- mine's a piece of crap
3. College funds for the kiddos
4. Take care of my parents- they have helped us out so much through the years
5. Def. try to donate to a worthy cause

Would prob. try to start my own buisness of some sort, to ensure we didn't just blow through the money, & end up broke again a few years down the line...

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 11:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Quit my fulltime job and get a parttime job so I can have time to volunteer
    remodel my family home
    college fund for my son
    become the private donor that my job contacts when funds are gone and people are in need
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• lump sum

college funds for the grandchildren

probably a nicer place to live

donations, especially to funds protecting animals

Answer by Bmat at 11:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• If it was anything under 10 million or so, it would be lump sum. If it was some ridiculous amount like 300 million, I would probably take the yearly payments. We would immediately move out of Las Vegas and to Hawaii. We would buy a nice house, and I would buy my gecko green 4 door Jeep Wrangler. We would probably buy some investment properties in time, but who knows. My husband wouldn't be working anymore. We wouldn't tell anyone we had won except for my husband's best friend. I would love to move him to Hawaii with us. They would have a great time on the ocean, fishing and water sports. I would have my kids in private school. I would eat a lot of fish and enjoy an ocean view. I would also donate a lot to St Judes.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Lump some for me as well.
    1. Pay off our house
    2. Add on to the back like we have wanted to do for years,
    3. Get a better car (ours doesn;t actually hold all of us).
    4. Go back to school (not sure what field though)
    5. Open a place for Autism/special needs therapy (I hate having to drive over 30 miles to get to the closest one!).
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Lump sum, probably. I would invest most of it. I would stay home till D was done with school and then do something, no clue what though. First thing I would do is pay off my house, next is pay my parents back a portion of the money they have spent on me. After that, no clue.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I would take the lump sum. I would buy a house with more room, get rid of credit card debt for my boyfriend and me, probably buy him a new car to drive since his has almost a hundred and fifty thousand miles on it. I would put money away for my daughter's college and my stepson's future, whatever that might be, probably stop working the job I have now and spend more time trying to get my book published. I'd get a cleaning lady once a week and a pdicure once or twice a month. Then I'd become a philanthropist, donating to anything that caught my interest.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:31 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I would take the lump sum
    Pay the taxes.
    Invest the money and work until the first dividened or two came in off of the investment.
    Live on the divideneds and invest, help children and my charities.
    I might travel or buy something but I would decide those as they came up.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:25 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• At my age I would take the lump sum. If I was young I might take the payments. I would custom build a house right on the beach in Del Mar. I would not work, but I would volunteer. I would give money to my daughter. I would buy a house for my aspie son. Give some to charities.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:51 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• The first thing I would do would be to give half to charity. There would be more than I or mine could spend in a lifetlme so why not do some good with it? What's the point in having more than you'll ever need and paying taxes on it?

Next, college funds for both daughters. Then the holiday of a lifetime. After that, I'd do everything I needed to get finished on the house and to round it up, I'd live off of the interest from the rest.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:42 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I would take the lump sum.  I don't have to worry about tax because lottery winnings are tax free in Canada.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2013