how do i deal with putting my 1 year old daughter in day for the first time?

tanyamt

Asked by tanyamt at 9:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, just be prepared for a lot of tears for the first few weeks to a few months.

Some kids handle it better than others though. My 2 1/2 year old only cried for the first month....my (then) 14 month old cried for months. But she's super sensitive.

Give yourself enough time in the morning to get her dressed, and explain to her where she's going. When you get there, introduce her to her teacher, and explain to her again where she is and that you'll be back later to get her. A safe estimate is about 10-15 minutes for drop-off in the morning.
    Now...she's going to cry. BUT. Don't prolong your good-bye and don't sneak out on her. Say good-bye, kiss her good-bye, and leave. DON'T KEEP COMING BACK!

Its important that you stand firm. Its hard, I know it is, but you've got to. In no time, she won't even notice you leaving.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Make sure that you go in and that they allow you to be in the room she'll be in to check it out. If they don't allow you in, I'd be iffy.
    Anyways, the first day, take her in if you can, and see how she reacts to everyone.
    Then I'd take her in part time if you can, (or half the amount of time you'd have her in) for the first week or two if at all possible. Then start taking her full time. She'll be better adjusted if she gets to "test" it out first.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 9:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Have you visited the site together before? That can help.

And you might be surprised. I was prepared for my son to be clingy. Nope. Not a bit. He couldn't get rid of me fast enough once he saw the sand table!

*I* had a harder time with leaving than he did!

Answer by gdiamante at 10:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2009