Feeding schedule for EBF baby almost a year

My daughter will be a year in a couple weeks,,,I have successfully been able to EBF this one! :) yay :) even after the pedi "strongly" encouraged rice at 4 months and solids 3 times a day at 7 months I said hell no....I followed the advice of a pedi with my first and was supplementing at 8 months....anyhow, my question is, what is a good routine or schedule to start really introducing solids.....so far, she has tasted lentils, sweet potatoes, carrots, and apple sauce....a few bites here and there of each and she loves to eat. I'm trying to remember how to start adding in chunky stuff so she can learn to chew and not gag on it :)

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 11:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Chop up a banana. Put it on the tray in front of her. Let her go to town. It's something that can be done the day they're able to sit up unassisted, use a pincer grip and have lost the gag reflux. Purees aren't needed at all.

Google baby led solids.

You can offer the solids as often or as little as you care to.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Anon is incorrect. You did fine. Solids are SUPPLEMENTAL in year one; breastmilk is the main meal and if baby never takes ONE BITE of solids in year one baby will not have missed a thing. She's not supposed to be on more solids than breastmilk right now.

Please drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for more info.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:34 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Yay for boobs.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:47 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Anon is incorrect the only thing they NEED up until about a year is breastmilk. Formula fed babies tend to need to start on solids because formula does not change based on the babies needs like breastmilk does.

That being said I followed Baby Led Weaning with both my children and started them with table food around 9-10 months, but only for learning/tasting not for nutrition. Do a search on BLW and see if it is for you. Basically you never give purreed food, but instead go right to table food and give things like bananas or large chunks of broccoli for them to gnaw on. Things that are too large for them to choke, but that they can eat themselves.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• She's almost a year and you are just now asking about really introducing solids? Shame on you. She should have been started on solids months ago and that should have been gradually increased to where she would now be on more solids than breast milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Wow anon...u must have known your answer was BS...lol!! Like i Said she has tasted different things but knowing that its just for practice, I wasn't willing to let my supply diminish...sheesh....she's healthy and in the 95% for weight...thanks others for input....gdiamante I will look it up :)
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 1:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Good for you I am proud!
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:49 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Go you! We do baby led solids and breast milk is always the main nutrition. Just give little things and see them go to town.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2013