Thinking of doing some midwife assisting on the side. I do have some questions?

I'm working towards my EMT, planning on my Advanced EMT with PALS(pediatric life support) this Fall but jobs are a little scarce. I did say that I put my foot down with a few things like breech,twins and VBAC because the state says it's illegal for a CPM to do knowingly do those cases, you want to risk your license fine but I paid too much for mine to loose it.
I was looking into this because I support a woman's choice to labor at home if they're a good candidate and with somebody well trained. What does keep bothering me is that some of these ladies are tossing around comments and articles about home birth being safer then hospital birth. I'm sorry ladies I'm fast at getting an IV line in but I'm not packing a blood bank. I can do CPR but I can't afford an AED. Is it a safe option for a low risk mother who is making an informed choice to take on some risk? I believe so but safer is a stretch.

Also some midwives seem to be bothered by that I've only had c-sections. I was never a good candidate for home birth or even vaginal birth because both of my babies went into distress and needed oxygen after birth because they didn't fit through my pelvis despite movement. Why would this bother the clients?

Maybe you guys can help me with those questions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I dont think answers is the correct forum
    you may want to do a CM search
    i will say this
    if i were to do a home birth your discussion with me prior to the birth and not your vaginal experience would mean more to me

then again, i know for a fact some kids and births just do go as planned and wanted
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• There are some midwives that think, no matter what the problem, it can simply be solved if you try hard enough. They don't seem to get that giving birth is a totally personal choice. And, there are times when it is best to just go to the hospital.
    I think alot of them think they are following a time honored tradition that we (as a society) should return to. Most of them don't seem to look at the death rate of both the mother and baby when it was primarily midwives that did deliveries. If you can't reconcile yourself to work with women like that, I would suggest you find a more "open" midwife that won't give you crap about you delivery history.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• I agree that "safe" and "safer" are two very different things, and wile many low-risk women can labor and give birth safely at home, saying it's safer than a hospital setting seems like a stretch to me.

I guess I'm confused as to why your personal delivery experiences should even enter into the discussion. If I were looking for a midwife, I wouldn't ask her if she's had children, or how her children came into the world. I'd be more interested in her credentials and her experience at delivering babies, especially in a home setting.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:58 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Depending on your area, I'm not sure it would be highly profitable for you. In some areas, it's barely profitable for the nurse midwife. I live in a large town with three major hospitals and two level one trauma centers, and a nicu and high risk unit, and midwifes are seldom exclusively used, and home delivery is slim to none. The midwife should not judge YOUR birthing experience, as she is not qualified to do so. I'm glad I was in a hospital to deliver, as the baby was at risk, and I was a "normal healthy pregnancy" up until the day of delivery...and still---things went south. Your personal delivery experience should not be in the equation, and factually, it's probably not even legal to ask, because it's not legal to ask if you have children, your age, or anything else--in most cases.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 12:03 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• It's the other ladies in the practice not my friend specifically. That maybe I'll scare away customers I don't know.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Maybe it was more my wording one time of I don't trust birth I respect it as a force of nature that I need to be prepared for even if I don't use them. I think I'm just getting on some people's bad side in the practice. I'm in this a bit more as a libertarian then a true believer I hate to say.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• @romanceparty4u Homebirth is big around here so I know a lot of people who do it. My friends are lacking some emergency training I have, so I need a job and you need to CYA,it works.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Hmm do me a favor and watch the documentary "the business of being born" its on Netflix if you can't find it locally
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 8:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2013

• I've seen it years ago why? Neither homebirth midwives nor hospitals work like that at least around here and we have a c-section rate of 24% total with most hospitals being about 16-18%. Pitocin isn't used very frequently and doctor around here used movement regularly for stalls and malpostions. The midwives around here use a lot of herbalism to make up that they can't use pharmaceuticals. Several of the midwives I've talked to can't start an IV,I can. They can't do an airway bag on a patient especially a pediatric patient to keep steady oxygen till the ambulence gets there, I can.

"The Business of Being Born" made too many comparisons between European midwives and US CPM,no comparison.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2013

• I am not sure but I hope it all works out for you and good luck!
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2013