Slow rising HCG levels

My LMP was 1/6/09, so I should be about 6 wks pregnant. I scheduled an appt, but started bleeding that morning...went in my hcg levels were 131 and prog was low (they did not tell me how low) and was told I was having a miscarriage. Bleeding has stopped, went back in 48 hrs to confirm the pregnancy was over (or levels were falling as they expected them to be)...but my hcg levels went up to 163, but didn't double. Home pregnancy test taken today still very clearly positive, going back in for bloodwork on Monday. has this happened to anyone else? I had a m/c with my 1st pregnancy, but no bleeding or anything, then had two healthy girls, so I don't know what to think and feel like I am in limbo!

Roseryan

Asked by Roseryan at 9:04 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• HGC is a hormone that only shows up when you're pregnant.. it will go away if you're not. It is very possible that you miscarried so the level started dropping. But when you miscarry, I hear you are even more fertile so it is possible you got pregnant again. This happened to a couple friends of mine... they were pregnant then a couple weeks later found out they miscarried and a month after THAT they find out they are pregnant again. That could be what's happening.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Hcg can be in your system for about 4-6 weeks after delivery or miscarriage, but the quantitative will go down. It could be that your body had miscarried and hadn't had enough time to compensate for the drop initially. Did they do a transvaginal ultrasound? That woould show if there is still a heart beat present. Also, you may be getting ready to miscarry, or development of the fetus maybe slowing down. It will still go up but will start to taper off then decline. A normal Hcg level will triple every other day. If it is slowing or doesnt match the LNMP, then generally a transvaginal ultrasound is ordered to confirm if there is still an interuterine pregnancy and if there is still a heart beat and what the fetus is measuring at developmentally. So if you are supposed to be about six weeks, but the HCG is lower than that and you have had bleeding it is usually an indication of miscarriage.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 2:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Thanks for your answers. They did a transvaginal U/S and saw the gestational sac, at the time I would have been 5 wks since LMP.
    Roseryan

Answer by Roseryan at 8:21 AM on Feb. 15, 2009