Should I ditch the pullups??

Well I ran out of pullups, so my daughter (she's 2) has been in panties all day. So far no accidents... I'm going to try it for a few days and see how it goes... I was thinking of buying pullups for at night, but my mom said those will just teach her that it is ok to pee in the bed... She said if I'm worried she's going to pee everywhere I should set an alarm at like 2 am (she goes to bed around 9pm) to wake her up and take her to the potty... What do you think?? Thanks!

Asked by CelenasMom87 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't wake her up, because then you'll get her into a routine and she'll be waking up at two when she's 5. LOL. I don't agree with your mother completely. It's a step by step thing. I say, leave her in panties during the day until she is completely aware of the signs that she needs to go to the bathroom. (Having accidents in panties teaches them quicker than pullups because they can't feel it the same. They also care more about their "pretty underwear" than "diapers." But leave her in the pullups at night until she is good to go during the day for a while, than switch to panties at night. Remember, accidents are fine, and expected. This is what we did, and it worked just swell. If you want more advice, contact me. Hope it helps.

Answer by NomadSara at 8:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I agree wake her up, or you can always put a plastic trash bag underneath her but over her mattress for protection from an accident.

Answer by miss_rae at 8:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I wouldn't wake her either. And frankly, I wouldn't worry about confusion at night. Night 'training' is a completely different animal than day training. Some children are physically unable to go a night dry. Typically bed wetting isn't a cause for concern with doctor's until a child is over 6 - it's not a matter of saying "it's ok" at night, it's a matter of whether her body is ready to wake and respond to those signals at night. Both my kids were diaper-free at night several months after they were 'day trained.' We kept them in pull-ups for bed time until they were getting up on their on to use the bathroom as needed and/or waking up dry for a week straight. My little one (now 3 1/2 and potty trained for over a year) will still have the occasional accident. We keep a waterproof mattress pad on her bed.

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Don't wake her. To make bed changes easier try this. First lay down a water proof pad, a light blanket (to keep sheet from sliding), fitted sheet. Then do another layer exactlly the same way.

If she has an accident, don't scold just clean her up remove the first set and let her go back to sleep after she tries to potty.

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 12:01 AM on Jun. 20, 2008