Giving baby juice

my DS is almost 7 months old. I know that when giving a baby juice you need to water it down, but is it ok to give it to him now? and if so what kinds should i wait on and what can i give him?

MomCakes

Asked by MomCakes at 9:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I personally don't get the rush to give juice.
    I'd just wait. He'll develop the taste for sweets if you give it to him now.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 9:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• my dd will be 8 months on the 21st and i have been tryig to give her juice since 6 mos. (she hates hates hates it) i give her gerber infant juice so far i have tried apple and apple banana she doesnt touch either. but i do it in a sippy with equal parts juice and water ex 2oz juice 2 oz water. as soon as she tastes its juice she spits it out on me and throws her cup!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 9:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• the docs told me that you can give them a little to help with constipation, but he doesn't really need it right now. my oldest DD never drank any, i always gave her fruit in the jars and when she was old enough she got fresh fruit and with that she doesn't need fruit juice and fresh or even caned is much better for them.

setliff

Answer by setliff at 9:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• The new school doctors recommend to wait as long as possible before introducing juice. There has been study after study linking juice to obesity. There is no need for baby to have anything more to drink besides breastmilk or formula for the first year of life, after that water and milk do just fine. Do your best to wait as long as possible (preferable well into toddlerhood) to introduce juice your child will only thank you in the long run, none of us need a helping hand toward obesity.

Anonymous

• I'm not rushing to give him juice at all. I get WIC coupons for the juice so i just grabbed it since it was on the coupon. I honestly don't remember anyone i knew giving their baby juice for a long time. I was just curious health wise when a good time would be or if i should.
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 9:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• i started givin DD juice at 4 months.... once every couple days or whenever it crossed my mind :-D so ill let ya know when she gets obese
    Anonymous

• The WIC around here took juice off a while ago, said there wasn't a need for them to have it. If you are going to give him some, it needs to be 100& juice, nothing too sweet or tangy, and really watered down. You also should brush his teeth after he finishes the cup.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• My DS has been getting juice since he was about 2 months old. I was told by a doctor to give it to him for his constipation issue. Now I have no need for it since he is on baby food and the fruits works so much better for him. He has no problem not getting it anymore. If you think you child needs or wants something between bottles you can give it to them. I wouldnt over do it or you will have a very cranky baby on your hands because there belly will hurt. Been there done that I promise.( I was told to give it to him to keep him from gettting dehydrated) But if you truely dont feel like she needs or wants it then dont. Your baby will be a healthy happy baby either way.
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Drink the juice yourself. But even then...with caution. There's some new research linking juice consumption and diabetes.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Juice is very very high sugar, and little actual nutrition.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2009