Math homework needed for my daughter!

My DD was trying to figure out this problem last night and we can't. I am so bad at Math, i hope someone can help. She has to turn this in today for school.

Here is the problem:
A piece of wire 63 inches long is cut into 2 parts. The 2 parts are bent to form 2 different size squares. The perimeter of the larger square is 5 inches greater than the perimeter of the smaller square. What is the perimeter of each square?

Using the information of the perimeter, what is the area of each square?? What is the sum of the area of BOTH squares??

Thank you to anyone who can help!!!!

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 7:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I think.........(x+5) + x = 63 , so subtract 5 from each side and 2x = 58 and therefor x equals 29. Going back 29 works because 29 + 5 is 34......... and 34 plus 29 is 63 . One piece of wire is 34 and one is 29. These numbers are the perimeters also, right?.

You are working with squares, so sides are equal meaning each side is 34 divided by 4 for large square............and 29 divided by 4 for the sides of small square. Area is one side multiplied by the other right? So figure that out and then add the two areas. Double check your work (and mine!!).
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• http://www.jimloy.com/geometry/area.htm

Here hope this helps. I'm not too good at math either. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:48 AM on Feb. 13, 2013