Dental surgrey and my three year old.

My son has eczema, it was severe when he was a baby, most the time the only way i could get him back asleep after itching during the night, was a bottle. So his front teeth have some issues and cavitites. He needs surgrey to fix them before they start hurting him.

HAVE YOU EVER WENT THROUGH THIS, ADVICE? WARNINGS? HOW WAS IT FOR YOU?

RayJess31206

Asked by RayJess31206 at 7:47 AM on Feb. 13, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Surgery on baby teeth? Like a root canal? Are they going to sedate him? The most we've been thru is when my dau had to have 3 teeth pulled. It was a little scary for her, but she did OK. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:52 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• he will be fully asleep, they are doing some crowns, 14 fillings, and cleaning his teeth.

my grandmother asked why dont they just pull them, idk. i dont know whats best for him.
    I had 8 of my teeth pulled when i was 2. i dont know if its because its 2013 or what, but
    it seems likle everyone thinks its best if they just fix them, but theyll fall out so im just not sure??
    RayJess31206

Comment by RayJess31206 (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Well, I can tell you that loosing teeth too early could lead to braces later on. My son was 4 when he had his 2 front teeth knocked out & since it was too early, the gap wasn't wide enough when the adult teeth tried to come in. That's an awful lot of dental work on baby teeth tho. I hope you got a 2nd opinion.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:03 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• That seems like a lot on a 3 yr old. My 3 yr old fell and caused one tooth to go recede back into her gum line. It looked like she only had half a tooth. Instead of surgery her dentist decided to treat the gum area around it to coax it to fall back out. And, it worked. Then my poor baby tripped & fell again & chipped her other front tooth. Her dentist simply shaved it down a bit to make it look natural.

I understand preventative but, that seems really excessive for baby teeth.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:09 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• He will lose those front teeth, but not for another 3+ years. With his molars that are still coming in, not having those front teeth there could cause problems for when his adult front teeth need to grow in.

DD had dental surgery done when she was 4-1/2 years old. They had to cap five of her molars because they were so bad (not for lack of care, they are just bad teeth). But before that, they did what they call a "baby root canal." She had to be sedated and woke up in pain with her mouth all swollen. It was a rough few hours. Amazingly enough though, she remembers it as being a great time! We drove almost 6 hours from OH to VA because I couldn't find a place closer that would put anything other than those silver caps on baby molars and I insisted they be white. So we stayed in a hotel and for a couple of nights and she got to swim in the pool...
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:13 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• yeah, i kinda feel like thats alot of work and a long time for him to be asleep to fix all those teeth rather than just pull them, my husband really doesnt want his teeth gone. i want him to keep his teeth if theres no risk, but im still searching for another dentist to get that second opinion. i want a really good dentist.
    RayJess31206

Comment by RayJess31206 (original poster) at 8:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• My daughter had caps put on 2 teeth when she was 4 at the hospital. Do NOT let them do it in the office. It's dangerous putting a child to sleep for the first time. Make sure you have a pedi anithesiologist.

How far is the hospital from your house? We had a 2 hour drive and she vomited the whole home. The entire thing was a nightmare. Gl and stay strong.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 10:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Never had to have mine put under or even a twilight for dental work. DS did have to take something that made him sleepy, but he never really slept, just very relaxed. That seems like a lot of work to have done all at once. I can see doing the crowns at the same time, but they should work on the cavities by quadrant I would think.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I REALLY Think you need to take him for a second opinion ASAP! Don't do anything until then.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:34 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I agree with Ilovemy Paulie - get a second opinion! Baby teeth pop out eventually, paying that much $$ for a 3 yr old to have "adult like" teeth will cost you big bucks and really, for a 3 yr old?? Yes, they have cavities, but wouldn't it be smarter to have them taken out ? Not that that even is a good idea. Sounds to me like the dentist is a little $$ happy...are you going to a pediatric dentist or just a dentist? I ask because Pediatric dentists tend to find other means to avoid such a traumatic event for a little child...I'm just saying?
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 11:23 AM on Feb. 13, 2013