HOW TO HELP HER?? bipolar? suicidal?

My cousin that lives with me is a senior in highschool. She is going through a tough time and i need some advice how to help her. Last monday she tried to kill herself. She never showed any signs. Her mother is severely bipolar, and while my cousin was in the hospital, they diagnosed her with bipolar as well. Shes on meds.

Im lost on how to help her, she wants to resume life as normal, but her emotions are everywhere. Shes scared, she doesnt want to be like her mother, she doesnt want to miss school or work, she really wants to go but she cant handle it. Her and her bf of almost 2 years love each other but they have their issues, she doesnt even want to be around him.

I dont know if its best to push her to be strong, make her talk about her feelings.

i dont know what kind of drs she needs, i dont know if she should go back to school or do it at home.

advice on bipolar, suicidal teen, ???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Feb. 13, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• The Dr. who put her on the meds or the hospital where she stayed should be able to provide you with resources for mental health. She needs counseling & possibly some adjustments to her medications. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:00 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Thank you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Boyfriend of 12 years, she is a senior?
    So she was what 8 when they started dating ( that is putting her at 20 years old)

She should be in ourpatient counseling, the doctor that diagnosed her is the place to start. You cant make her do anything, pushing will just piss her off. Bipolar are very good at wearing masks so you truly won't know if you are helping or not. It is up to her to help herself if SHE isnt the one doing it she wont do well
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:08 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• thats good advice thanks. the only time i really put in my thoughts is if she asks or doesnt know how to make a certain decision.

lol. no she is 18. her annd her bf have been together TWO years.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• lol, sorry misread that

hope she does alright! Just be there for her
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:22 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Definitely get her into counseling.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• just be there for her, dont push her to talk about her feelings but do ask how she is feeling and let her know she can come to you and talk about anything. Let her know you are there for her. Also tell her she is nothing like her mother.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:45 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Bipolar is tricky and not all meds work for everyone. My sister is severely bipolar so I know a lot about it. She needs to be taken back in and continue her therapy. It will take some time to regulate her meds and then they will have to regulate them again depending on how severe hers is. Not one person is alike with this and it is to be taken seriously. She can't help the way she is and it is frustrating for her not being able to handle things like most of us can.
    Jessplus31979

Answer by Jessplus31979 at 9:55 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I have a cousin who is the same, he lived with me for awhile. His doctor kept changing his meds. and he was very weird but I just let him chill when he wanted to and just stayed close to him just in case he needed me. That is all I knew to do . Now he is doing great. Doctor finally found meds that worked for him.
    katiejon

Answer by katiejon at 10:18 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• She needs a counselor to help her learn coping skills to work WITH her symptoms. Medication alone will not help her. She needs to take things one day at a time, even one hour at a time. Do not push her to do more than she feels she can handle. If she doesn't want to be around the bf, she needs to tell him that. She can just tell him that she needs time to work on HER and get herself better before being with anyone else.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 13, 2013