Good age to teach kids to dial 911 in an emergency?

Or is it really depending in maturity?

I want to teach my 5 year old to use my phone to dial 911. She already knows how to use it to text and turn on the music. I swear I did not teach her those lol. She doesn't know who she is texting and only types her name over and over but still, lol.

So I thought maybe I can teach her o dial 911 and tell her the only cases to dial 911 are this this and that. She is one that wouldn't call them for fun, not my DS when he's 5 I can see him dialing it for fun so it may be a while before I teach him.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 13, 2013 in General Parenting

• I taught my kids at 4, which is also when they covered it in preschool.

Answer by missanc at 11:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• My 3yo knows how to use the emergency dial button on my phone.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:20 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I would teach them as soon as they know what 911 looks like on the phone.
    I will say I taught my then kindergardner and one saturday morning he decided to dial the number (at 7 am), and all of a sudden the door bell rings, he runs in to our bedroom hiding under the bed..and two policemen were at our door! Luckily they were nice and just wanted to check to make sure we were okay..but in other cases they said the family would be fined for a "prank" call. Needless to say, my son NEVER did it again, and to this day it is a family story :)
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:42 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Ummm it is adorable that she texts her name over and over again.

I learned at 4.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 11:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I took my cue from preschool and taught my daughter at four. We practiced on her toy cell phone. I made sure she could say her address and phone number, although with call tracing now, that might not be so necesary. Luckily, her big brother had called without a reason once, so he told her what a bad idea it was, and anything he says is gospel.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:53 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• We only have iphones, and they can be sort of a pain to dial, especially if you're in a hurry. I added 911 to my favorites list, so they don't have to find the keypad. They know how to unlock my phone and hit the phone button, and that brings up the favorites list. I taught them those three steps to call 911.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• We taught our kids right around 3 or 4.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• When he was around 3 or 4
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I think it depends more on maturity cases and they even teach it to kids in school. Give it time and wait till you know that she will only dial it if their is a real emergency.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:41 AM on Feb. 14, 2013