Today,some selfless person gave the gift of life to my uncle.....and he doesn't deserve it

i'm brokenhearted that someone passed away and was selfless enough to donate their organs. My uncle does not deserve the liver he is getting today. He drank himself almost to death. He didn't care about his own life. He didn't care about what he was doing to his wife,his daughters,his granddaughters. Even after his diagnosis,he continued to drink until he could no longer keep ANYTHING down.
Because of him getting this liver,there are several people, who are probably more in need of a sliver of that organ,going without.
I'd love to give that ethics board a piece of my mind.
i'm not really a praying gal,but i'm saying one for that person who passed away.
Hopefully he sees the error of his ways and does justice to that person who literally gave their life for his.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 13, 2013 in Relationships

• That's awful. I agree with you though. I have a drunk loser as a father and if his liver failed and he got one that someone else could have used, I would be upset. It's just not right.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:00 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• think of it this way

they say...
    people come into your life for a reason a season or a lifetime

and not everyone you have contact with in your life is a positive experience
    however
    that does not mean a person that is toxic has to be a bad thing/experience in your life
    we all learn from experiences that are challenging
    so maybe your uncle is not done with this life, maybe he needs to be ' a toxic experience ' in someone else life, so that person can grow from knowing him. maybe the transplant is not the universe giving himn a chance as much as universe giving another person that runs into the uncle a chance to learn from him.
    universe works in odd ways that we do not always understand

best i got ^

* my brother is on a transplant list, has been for over 2 years
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:04 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I'm sorry to hear this and I completely agree, If you destroyed your liver because of your personal choice to drink then you don't deserve to be on the transplant list.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Shut up. Whoever died and was selfless enough to donate his organs probably saved plenty of other people with his kidneys.

And he bought your aunt more time with her husband. Cousins more time with their dad. Etc.

FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 11:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I'd like to see people with chronic diseases or cancer or the like placed higher on the transplant list than people with alcohol-related organ problems.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• "He fucked up a lot, let's let him die!"
    "She has addiction problems, she's not as worthy!"

F. U.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Doesn't sound fucked up to me, my mother is an alcoholic and her liver is failing her. She had the nerve to ask her children to donate part of their livers. Luckily non of us share the same blood type as her.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I agree. I have a brother in law who has done the same this. I am surprised he is still here. Then so many family members have their lives shortened from cancer, not from their faults of course. It doesn't seem fair.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I didn't think that 'they' whoever they are, gave livers to alcoholics because they did it to themselves?
    This really is unfortunate for the others who wre more deserving.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:08 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I'd try to look at it like this: everyone in life sets an example for others. Your uncle is an example of what not to do, who not to be. It's unfortunate for someone who is more deserving of the liver, but even this can be a lesson. It can be a reminder that you (or your children, or others around him) never want to be so selfish that they would take away something so precious from someone else who might be more deserving. It'll make you all think twice about decisions.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2013