Are eating disorders typical after a gastric bypass?

I have a friend that had the surgery one year ago. She literally dropped half her size in 6 months. She was looking good at 145 (and 5'9"). She posted some new pics today and I was like whoa! She was really proud to post that she has since lost another 20 lbs. I'm fearing that she has gone a whole opposite direction with food addiction. She now looks anorexic and the additional weight loss is making her look so much older. Her face is drawn and she's all bones and angles. How would a doctor approach the subject of her new possible addiction?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2013 in Health

• I think they are very common. You get the quick snip snip and no one looks at or deals with WHY you overeat.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• You sure she was just 145lb. I heard you have to be morbidly obese to get that done. !00 lb over weight.

Yes when you get gastrec bypass. You loose weight fast.

Answer by louise2 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• 5'9" and 125 lbs is tiny!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I have a friend with the same issue. She is seriously a stick now. I you can't talk to her about it because "You just want me to be a big fat pig!".

Craziness!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Hmmm, I have the opposite problem in the people I know who've had the surgery done. After a year or so, they gained quite a bit, if not all, of the weight back. I think a lot of people don't have enough counseling pre-surgery to resolve the issues that made them overeat and become so obese in the first place.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Yeah,it really is. I wonder how far she'll let this go. This has gone from "good for you!" to "oh shit!"

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Louise,she was 390 lbs before the surgery

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2013