New baby!?

I am 5 months pregnant and I have a four year old I was just wondering how did you ladies go about talking to your kids about their new sibling. He knows I have a baby in my tummy and I tell him that the baby is his brother. But he literally thinks its his lol and he says no your baby. He has another brother from his dads side he rarely sees him so I want to make sure that he has a good relationship with Josiah dont get me wrong I always ask him about his little brother and I ask him if he played with him and all that good stuff. But they dont really make an effort for the boys to spend time witb each other. I know they will be 5 years a part I dont expect them to he best friends but I just want Noah to kmow about his baby brother.

mylovelylife

Asked by mylovelylife at 1:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is bad, but I can't remember how I told my older son. Now I wish I had written it down or something.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• My 3 year old still thinks her sister is her baby. i told her we were having the baby so she could have a best friend for life.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Awe its okay
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I think.... I told them that mommy was having a new baby, they were going to be a big sister/ brother, & they were going to be my big helpers w/ their new sibling. But I assured them that no matter what we would always love them the same, & it's a really special important job to be a big sibling.. It was harder w/ my 3rd because I was in the hospital for 7 wks high risk w/ my 4th, so I didn't get to really prepare him too much. But he did great, & now the 2 are partners in crime around here.. Even w/ 5 yrs apart, they may be closer than close, it just all depends on the kid & their personality...
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 1:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• @staciandababy I didnt think of introducing Josiah as his friend
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• @happyendings awe im glad it worked out for you. I hope youre right because my SO thinks that Noah wont really be interested but I think he will he will he loves babies just as long as they dont cry a whole lot lol
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• When we knew that the new baby "might" be coming (long complicated story), we told our son that God may be sending us a baby to take care of and we didn't know for how long, but we would love him/her for as long as he/she was with us. We tell him that all children are given by God and that God ultimately love us, takes care of us all, and has a plan for our family. We prayed every night, "God bless Mommy, Daddy, (DS name) and a baby. Several months later, the baby did come to us a few months shy of our son's 4th birthday. He was an answer to prayer and our son fell in love with him immediately. He would stare at him so quietly while the baby was asleep. He would shush visitors. He became my right hand little man. We are thankful that the baby is still with us two years later. and we will continue to love him and each other for as long as we are together. They have become very close. Good luck!
    PS-Yes, he said HIS baby, lol!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• @doodlebopfan im so glad that you guys included God when you told him about his brother or sister. God bless you and your family:) thank you for the advice
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Introduce the idea through a book to your 4 year old. There are many books about being an older brother or sister. You can talk about the characters in the book and how wonderful it is to have a sibling. Then you can explain to your child about his new sibling coming. Also have him apart of planning, buying and having open discussions.
    MrsMorrell

Answer by MrsMorrell at 9:42 AM on Feb. 20, 2013

• @mrsmorrell thanks for your suggestion i talked to him already and i told him that he will be having a little brother at first he didn't quite like it lol. But now all he talks about is his brother. Every time we go to the store he wants to pick something out for Josiah. He touches my tummy and says he will play baseball with him once he comes out of mommys tummy:)
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2013