Awful back pain

I have had back pain since my daughter was a couple months old. Now the last few weeks it has been so awful. Tonight I was almost in tears from the pain, I had to get off the couch and lie on the floor. It still hurts but sometimes it just has these awful minutes of horrible pain. It is mostly in my upper back, somewhat in my middle back. Pain killers dont seem to help at all. How do I make the pain go away ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Health

• Well, I have had 3 back surgeries so I know a little about back pain. It sounds like you either have a pulled muscle or a pinched nerve. However, your gallbladder can cause you to have back pain as well. If it is a muscle issue, you need muscle relaxers from the doctor. You can try a heating pad and muscle rub such as Deep Heat. I would go see an orthopedic doctor if I were you. They can take x-rays and try to rule some things out. Good Luck!!
    Lei67

Answer by Lei67 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I'm not sure if this is why you have the pain or not but holding a baby can really pull on your back. With my 3rd I got increadible pain in my upper to middle back area. When you hold your baby, whether on your front or side you are pulling your shoulders forward. It's not the most ideal position. I started wearing her in different carriers. I love my ring sling and mei tai. I don't have back pain like I did before, now it's just the same old wear and tear.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:11 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Did you have an epidural? It took me MONTHS to get my back feeling normal again. And it is still easily hurt. One time about a month after my baby was born, my dh reached down to rub my back and he touched the EXACT spot the epidural went in and it sent a shock wave down my body that hurt sooooo bad. It hurt for days after that.

I also have bulging disks that are painful. A chiropractor really helps releave some pain and they can do xrays and check for any issues that may need other meds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Go to a doctor to be evaluated.
    I had back labor with sciatic pain that the epidural never even touched with my last child. I had back pain ever since that became worse over the years and eventually caused me to use a cane because the sciatic pain was too great and I had weakness in my left leg where the sciatic pain was shooting down. I did years of therapy and had multiple x-rays until I finally gave up on doctors. One morning I woke up paralyzed from the waist down and was rushed to the hospital and right into surgery for diskectomy surgery. It helped ease the pain a great deal and it wasn't as chronic as before. I didn't need my cane anymore and I was able to stand for a couple of hours at a time before the pain set in.
    (con't)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:19 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• (con't) Sadly, over the years the pain has become worse again and an x-ray in Dec showed osteoarthritis. I was given an MRI and it shows spurs, degeneration, and hypertrophy. I now have a diagnosis of chronic pain (the pain, weakness, and sciatic pain is back) and have been referred to a pain management physician. The referral should come through soon and I'll have an appt soon after that.
    My ortho doc told me "it wouldn't hurt to lose some of that bulk you're carrying" referring to my weight. I weigh 215 lbs right now, but 3 years ago I weighed 262 and have been working hard at losing weight naturally without fad diets and with exercise. I was so offended by his comment. Of course, I still work on my weight loss every day and know I will continue to lose.
    Anyhow, I digress. Please see a physician, get x-rays, and keep seeing a doctor as long as you have pain even if they think nothing is wrong - something is. ~HUGS~
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:24 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i have horrible back pain also, the spasms u are explaining i also have sometimes makes a grown woman cry!! i have no idea whats wrong but good luck~i medicate with canabis~weed, it helps take the edge off..its been a straight year for me with the pain-everymorning like clockwork :( good luck & let me know if u figure anything or if anything helps....xo
    hottimomi

Answer by hottimomi at 12:21 PM on Aug. 25, 2009