Will Catholic School straighten up my 5 year old or will he get kicked out??

The public school in our area is terrible and we are not able to transfer to a better school and I cannot sell my house to get in better school boundary. We are seriously consdering Catholic school for 1st grade in the fall BUT I am so nervous. His teacher now complains that he doesn't pay attention and can't seem to control his body. He is on the younger side of 5 (birthday in June) and our Dr. assured us that he is not ADD and just a bit more active than other boys.

I want him to get a good education but am terrified he will get kicked out of Catholic school one week in.... If he is surrounded by other kids acting right will that help him? Or should I be worried of an impending disaster financially being asked for him to leave and having to re-enroll in the public school??? They made it clear at the open house that they cannot accept kids with any special needs as they are not equipt for that- I don't think he is a special needs kiddo, just energetic...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2013 in General Parenting

• have you tried looking into a different school and getting an exception? My friend in high school lived in a completely different city then the school she went to. She got an exception done. Do you work? Do you maybe have better schools around your work? That will help get an exception approved.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Try parenting your kid instead of expecting the schools to do it for you.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• No we cannot get an exception- tried that- unfortunately the schools here are all totally overcrowded so we are literally stuck. And geez, I don't expect the school to parent or raise my kid but they are with him 7 hours a day and I cannot really control how well he pays attention in class. No way to really replicate that at home.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I would NOT send your child to a religious school but that's just me.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• No way to really replicate that at home.

Bullshit. It's called turn off the TV.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

•  It's certainly worth a try especially since you're not happy with the public school your in now.  In most private schools there are less kids in each classroom and for some kids this means a lot less distraction.  It might help to go and observe a class before enrolling your son, also ask them what their disciplinepolicy is and how effective it is.  Even if your Dr said he's not ADD I would still get a full educational evaluation since this is a concern his teacher brought up.  The results will help with your decision.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Good grief. We never have the tv on in the house when he is home. We spend most of the time playing outside and reading books and playing board games. I turned to cafemom for a little helpful advice. I cannot replicate a classroom setting in my house to teach him to pay attention. He pays attention to me reading or games we play just fine.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Many private schools maintain their success by not dealing with children who have special needs, behavior problems, or learning difficulties. Chances are good that if your five-year-old doesn't tow the line pretty quickly, he will be asked to leave.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Do you have any private schools that are not religious? I hope y'all go to church because the Catholic schools around here require your children to attend mass.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 5:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Listen, what's the worst case? He gets the boot. So knowing this, put him in and really crack down on him for behavior. Some boys are just really tough. If you want this to work, you are going to have to really really work with him. I believe, if you do that, it can be a success.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2013