Just gross

The last 2 days my 2 1/2 year old daughter has been taking a bite of her food and then she will hold it in her mouth for a long time without eating it. It will be sometimes 30 minutes or so. Then once she is tired of it being in her mouth she will then spit it out all over the floor, couch, and me. I don't know what to do about it because I don't want to take away her food as she hardly eats as it is. Anyone else have this problem and how do get her to stop doing this. It is driving me crazy.

hosein

Asked by hosein at 10:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hmm. not in that boat. All I can suggest is to make sure dd eats only in certain areas (ie in the high chair, or in the kitchen). when she leaves the area, check her mouth and make sure it's clear.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster. This will also help to get her to eat more at meal times because she's not just running around with food to play with all the time. She'll quickly figure out that if she wants to eat, she's going to have to do it seated properly at the table or in the high chair.

Don't worry, no child has ever starved itself to death. They will all eat at meal time eventually if you don't offer snacks all day in between.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• OMG. My son had the same problem he is 2 he wil be 3 on march 3 but when he had just turned 2 he would hold everything he ate in his mouth for a long tme. One day i gave him a cookie and i noticed he wasnt real talkative and i asked him something and he ran to the our trash can and spit the cookie out, the cookie was in his mouth for like 20 -30 minutes.lol but he stopped doing it on his own. That is so funny i thought i was the only person who had a child to hold food in his mouth for a long time. But yeah eventually she will grow out of it. it drove me crazy too. lol

GEORGETTE3306

Answer by GEORGETTE3306 at 2:35 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• One of my boys did that for like two years! He could suck the flavor right out of anything and just wait for it to dissolve.

We did have to make him not leave the table if there was food in his mouth. We had to check with a flashlight, too because he became pretty good at holding it WAY back and with hiding it under his tongue the little stinker.

Now...we did find a reason for my son doing it...low oral motor tone. The muscles in his mouth were/are weak and it was affecting his eating and his speech. Since we started speech therapy last October, he hasn't done it.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:26 AM on Feb. 15, 2009