So... the school physically LOST my child for 15 minutes!

My son, who has Asperger's, eloped from math class today after being frustrated over the difficulty of the task. This is common for him recently and he has always been caught and taken to his special ed teacher for her to help him. ( the school is 100% set up for him and all teacher trained on how to work with kids like him ) Anyway, He ran and the teacher lost track of which direction he went and lost sight of him before catching him. They finally found him, 15 minutes later with multiple adults looking, hiding in an adult women's bathroom. He was restrained by his special ed teacher and carried to her room to the 'nest'to clam down and of course discuss repercussions of his escapades. I have a few questions for the school tomorrow...like:
1) This was during math- he is supposed to have an aide in math... where was she? Did he manage to out run TWO teachers?
2)How do you manage to loose track of which direction a kid runs to the point that he is GONE?
3)Why was I not called until the end of the day and not while he was actually missing- or shortly after being found?
4)HOw are we going to stop this from happening again?

Now I LOVE this school- and all his teachers/aides dearly and this is the FIRST problem we have ever had in 2 years so I am NOT angry. I am confused and extremely concerned though.

What would you make of a situation like this? I just can't believe they LOST him!?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 8:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2013 in General Parenting

• Dang Doc! I would be upset if that happened with my kid. Hopefully they will have some good answers for you tomorrow!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I wouldn't worry too much about them waiting to call you.
    While 15 minutes may seem like an eternity, they did know he had taken off and were actively looking (unlike a recent poster who said her kid would disappear for up to an hour a day).
    They may have waited til the end of the day so they could get him to refocus and not cause further disruption.

Would definitely make sure there were protocols in place in the event it happens again. And let them know how when you want to be called. i.e. 5 mins missing or when found.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• sorry about that, I would make sure until parent would get there before leaving. Very scary to say the least
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• OMG heads would be rolling! I am glad he's okay
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• O wow, that sucks! Is it possible the aide was out sick? If my DD's aide is sick, they call a sub, but I'm not sure how yours is set up. If she was there, your DS shouldn't have gotten out of the room. The "lost sight of him" bothers me, unless the teacher meant that when she first stepped into the hall, he was already gone. Definitely get it set up so that they call you, especially if he's been a runner lately. Hugs, doll baby!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Sounds like he had a crummy day! Sorry to hear it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Honestly, if a child outran me, the bathroom would not be the first place I looked. I would be running to the exits to make sure that he is not outdoors where he could be hurt or kidnapped...then I would turn my attention back indoors (been there, done that). I would not go in accusing them of losing your child, as scary as it is. I would ask if he was still receiving an aid in math, and for them to tell you what happened. If the situation calls for a more aggressive approach, take it from there, but at least give then the chance to explain what happened.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:05 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• They did what they should have done. When the teacher lost sight of him, multiple adults searched for him.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:40 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I would voice your concerns, but I would also be willing to listen to them about the situation. While its not acceptable think about if it was you and you lost sight of your child, it can happen to the best of us, its human error, how bad would you feel hearing people say things like " whAt type of Mothers looses sight of their child" Im sure they feel terrible about it, I would just think about that also when approaching the situation.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 5:10 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• How old is he?

Answer by louise2 at 5:57 AM on Feb. 14, 2013