Do you consider everyone who doesn't practice the same religion as you as one unified group?

Is it us vs them, whatever us is for you, or do you recognize that there are thousands of different beliefs which don't agree about everything, in addition to not agreeing with you?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2013 in Religious Debate

• The only "us vs Them" mentality I see tends to come from the bigots and hypocrites.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• In my basic religious belief group - christian - you cant find people in the same church who totally agree on everything, let alone the same denomination, or the same belief system! So it would be impossible for me to have an us vs them mentality.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I recognize that this world is made up of many different people. My beliefs may not be someone else's and that ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Shoot, I don't see people of my own religion as one unified group, much less would I ever think those of all the other world religions, ideologies, belief systems, sects, denominations, varieties, and flavors that I don't ascribe to were out to get me or those of my ilk. That's the most ridiculous idea I've heard lately.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I don't even think about it, unless it's shoved in my face.  

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Generally speaking, I only consider it an "us vs. them" when we're talking about religious groups that want to impose their religious beliefs upon the entire population, whether or not the entire population agrees with their particular brand of religion.  That's why I, in general, have no issues with those non-Abrahamic faiths.  In general, "others" only try to live their beliefs themselves, and don't expect the rest of the world, or even smaller-scale communities, to conform to what they believe.  So, while I may not believe the same, I don't really care what others believe, or live their lives by, until "they" try to impose their beliefs on the rest of "us".

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• No, I don't. People are all so different and those in each religion are all diferent even if they go to the same church. I rarely think about religions and who belongs to which denimination,etc. It doesn't seem to matter...UNTIL I sign on here and read posts. LOL.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Nope. People with the same religion or religious sect can differ significantly in their beliefs.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:32 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I consider those that talk and think alike as part of the CM group-there are those on these posts that present that way-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:45 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• No, of course not. That's like saying everyone who isn't interested in politics all hold the same positions...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:57 AM on Feb. 14, 2013