Do you consider everyone who doesn't practice the same religion as you as one unified group?

Is it us vs them, whatever us is for you, or do you recognize that there are thousands of different beliefs which don't agree about everything, in addition to not agreeing with you?

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Generally speaking, I only consider it an "us vs. them" when we're talking about religious groups that want to impose their religious beliefs upon the entire population, whether or not the entire population agrees with their particular brand of religion.  That's why I, in general, have no issues with those non-Abrahamic faiths.  In general, "others" only try to live their beliefs themselves, and don't expect the rest of the world, or even smaller-scale communities, to conform to what they believe.  So, while I may not believe the same, I don't really care what others believe, or live their lives by, until "they" try to impose their beliefs on the rest of "us".

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Nope, there are so many different religions that I can't imagine they are all out to get me. Of course I am not a paranoid freak either.

I respect other people's religions as long as they aren't trying to pass laws with it or cram it down my throat.

Answer by kmath at 8:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• The only "us vs Them" mentality I see tends to come from the bigots and hypocrites.

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I look at people as individuals. They believe what they believe, and I believe what I believe. So long as they aren't trying to force their beliefs on me, I don't really care what they believe, and I don't generally think they're against me. Since I don't shove my beliefs down their throats, I don't see any reason (other than the ones who just stubbornly believe everyone is out to get them) they would think I'm against them.

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I've never thought of it that way, I guess because I don't consider myself totally affiliated with ONE particular religion. I'm more of a mutt in my beliefs.

Answer by m-avi at 8:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• i did a long time ago. i use to think that all Catholics thought one way and all Pagans thought one way. this section helped me realize how silly i was. it would have to be a very broad belief for their to be kinda unification among groups haha.

Answer by okmanders at 12:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Nope.

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• No. I am well aware there are thousands of different groups with different beliefs.

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• No I do not see all Catholics as one unified group let alone everyon else.

Answer by Dardenella at 8:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• everyone for their know

I grew up around people who saw things very us vs them. I do not see it that way at all

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2013