Do pre -k teachers grades your kids fair

When my son was in pre k they graded 1 2 3 4 . He got all 3 ..so I ask the teacher what do I need to work on she said he doing great they r only allowed to give pre k threes but he would definaly have some fours.. Now 4 year later my daughters pre k report she has all d - developing the next grade is p- proficent .. I ask the etcher again .. It's the same thing . I know that she is doing very good and some of the things that were on the report was ex has good hand eye cordination , listens to instructions ( which I feel like are defiantly a p ) and the academics part of the report .. I know she is doing slot better than the rest of the class .. Most still can't spell or write their names. Y don't they grade the children fair if she deserve a bettergradey not give them .. The teacher was like oh if we gave her p's then y is she in pre k what is she gonna Learn. I said if she's doing good in one area and not in others then the ones that she really do have d in then I would work on it with her .and could relax with what she is p in .. Ths was never-ending argument I just said whatever ..is this really how they grade kids no matter how good they r doing I feel like if I'm working hard at home to have my child be good in school she should the grade she deserve !

michmm03

Asked by michmm03 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hmm no, our prek doesn't do grades.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• This seems kind of crazy. Why would the teachers not give the deserved grades so that parents could work on the areas that need more attention? My daughter is in Pre-K,but they don't hand out grades of any kind.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• the 1234 and d,p standards are working towards end of year expectations. If your child is getting all 3's (which is meeting end of year expectations" (or D for developing) then guess what They ARE getting the grades they deserve and it is reflective that they are ahead of thier class where their classmates are likely getting 2's at the midway point (meaning they are progressing towards the end of year goals). The teachers are grading accordingly. If you're not concerned about your kids' learnign then don't worry about it. Obviously you and the teachers are both doing your jobs. Good gracious get over yourself.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• It sounds like you're placing way too much importance on grades in preschool. Chill out.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Ours grades

S, S+, N

Satisfactory, Above Satisfactory and Needs Imporvement
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 9:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Not here either. They let you know if they are truly struggling but other than that basically it is your child is doing fine. Do not stress yourself or them out.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I thought school is important .. Iguess that's just me and they r grading them for the work they are doing now .. Does it matter what grade the kids r in in they are not getting grades they deserve ... I think pre k you know that your now learning sounds and math reading and wrinting it's the good ground work for doing good in first grade and so on ..
    michmm03

Comment by michmm03 (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• our school has a similar grading scale & my DD is in pre-K right now. they arent "real" grades. they are just a guide line for how your kid is doing.

also, just cause you think your kid deserves a 4 or P doesnt mean they do...kids dont act the same in school as they do at home. get over yourself...its not like these "grades" are going to keep effect your kids for life...unless you keep making a big deal outta nothing.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Has your preschool aged daughter expressed concern that she is being "slighted" with her grades or is it your own desperate attempt and ego to make up for your lacking areas that causes you to obsess over trivial matters?

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• The teacher said he would get fours if she could give him .. So no it's not only I think so it was the teacher too .. My god . the whole thing is just if they doing well the teacher say ok they deserve the grade them give it to them .. End of story
    michmm03

Comment by michmm03 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2013